Thermal expansion, cup overflowing?

In summary, the coefficients for thermal expansion for glass and a particular liquid were given as β1 = 25x10^-6 K^-1 and β2 = 300x10^-6 K^-1 respectively. The glass cup was filled with 4.0 L of the liquid and both the temperature of the glass and liquid increased by 10C^o. Using the equation ΔV=(V)(β)(ΔT), the change in volume for the liquid was calculated to be 0.011L, taking into account the difference in temperature units between Celsius and Kelvin. However, the conversion of coefficients to Celsius and the resulting difference in volume between the two remains unclear.
azurken

Homework Statement

Coefficient for thermal expansion for glass is β1 = 25x10^-6 K^-1
Coefficient for thermal expansion for this particular liquid is β2 = 300x10^-6 K^-1

The glass cup is completely filled with the liquid at 4.0 L. The temperature of the glass and liquid both increased by 10C^o

Homework Equations

ΔV=(V)(β)(ΔT)

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright. I know there's a difference between 10 C^o and 10^o C. Because how can (for example) 58^o C - 57^o C ≠ 274k. So I counted the K as exactly C one for one.

(4L)(25x10^-6 )(10) = 0.001L (I cancel out the temperature units here)
(4L)(300x10^-6)(10) = 0.012L (cancel out temperature units)

So the liquid will spill 0.011L over the cup.

I'm just not sure how I should I convert the coefficients to the celsius numbers (unless I did it right)

Physics news on Phys.org
and if I'm right, I'm not sure how to get the difference in volume between the two with the numbers I found.

Related to Thermal expansion, cup overflowing?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in volume or size when heated. This is due to the increased kinetic energy of the particles, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. What causes thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is caused by the increase in temperature of a substance. As the temperature increases, the particles in the substance gain kinetic energy and move more, resulting in an increase in volume.

3. How does thermal expansion affect objects?

Thermal expansion can cause objects to expand and contract, which can lead to changes in shape, size, and even structural integrity. This is why it is important to consider thermal expansion when designing structures or selecting materials for different temperatures.

4. Why does a cup overflow when hot liquid is poured into it?

A cup overflows when hot liquid is poured into it because the liquid expands as it is heated, taking up more space. If the cup is already full, the expanded liquid has nowhere to go and overflows. This is an example of thermal expansion in action.

5. How is thermal expansion used in everyday life?

Thermal expansion is used in various ways in everyday life. For example, it is important to consider thermal expansion when building bridges or laying railroad tracks to prevent damage from changes in temperature. It is also used in thermometers, thermostats, and other temperature-sensitive devices. Additionally, thermal expansion is utilized in cooking and baking, as heat causes food and liquids to expand and cook or rise.