Thermal Expansion of a hemisphere

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a geodesic dome and the calculation of its interior space in different temperatures. The original volume of the dome is calculated using the formula for a sphere, and different attempts are made to calculate the increase in volume in warmer temperatures. Ultimately, it is discovered that the mistake was made in dividing the diameter in half instead of using the full diameter.
Samonasuke

Homework Statement

A geodesic dome constructed with an aluminum framework is a nearly perfect hemisphere; its diameter measures 55.0 on a winter day at a temperature of -18 C.

How much more interior space does the dome have in the summer, when the temperature is 30?

Homework Equations

Linear Expansion: delta L=alpha(L_original)(delta T)
Volume Expansion: delta V=(3)alpha(V_original)(delta T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I for this question I treated it as a sphere and halved my answer because I though it made sense, not sure if it really mattered

First attempt:
I calculated the original volume of the sphere, which is 47713 m^3. And then I used the volume expansion to calculate the increase in the volume of the sphere which was
delta V=3(2.4*10^-5)(48)(47713) = 164.9L and divide this by 2 and you get 82.4L
But this is wrong

Second attempt:
I tried linear expansion, this way makes near to no sense so I'll abreviate it, I used the linear expansion formula to calculate directly the increase in the radius, and then from there calculated the increase in volume, didnt work

Third attempt: I thought I had it this time
Firsty I calculated the surface area of the sphere = 6361.73
Then calculated the area increase which is delta A=(48)(6361.73)(2)(2.4*10^-5) = 14.66m^2878.53
The calculated the new area =6376.39
Then the new radius, sqrt(6376.39/4Pi) = 22.526 So the new volume of the sphere= 47878.53. Original volume= 47712.93...47878.53-47712.93 =165.6 for a sphere
Volume increase for hemispere= 82.8 m^3 Is this right? Because I'm using masteringphysics and I said 82.5 by mistake and it didnt say I was even close to the answer, I only have one attempt to get this right so I don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks very much for the help, sorry if its a bit convoluted, my first time posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Samonasuke! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Samonasuke said:
A geodesic dome constructed with an aluminum framework is a nearly perfect hemisphere; its diameter measures 55.0 on a winter day at a temperature of -18 C.

I calculated the original volume of the sphere, which is 47713 m^3.

No, the volume will be 2/3 πr3 = 1/12 πd3

I was working with a full sphere and then divided my answer in half at the end, anyway I found out where I was going wrong! I can't believe it, I thuoght tha 55/2 22.5 :O Terribly stupid mistake!

Related to Thermal Expansion of a hemisphere

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract when exposed to changes in temperature. This phenomenon occurs due to the increase or decrease in the kinetic energy of the particles within the material.

What is the thermal expansion coefficient?

The thermal expansion coefficient is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per degree change in temperature. It is expressed in units of length per length per degree Celsius (or Kelvin).

How does thermal expansion affect a hemisphere?

When a hemisphere is exposed to changes in temperature, it will expand or contract depending on the material it is made of and the temperature change. This change in size can cause stress on the hemisphere, which can potentially lead to cracking or distortion.

What factors can affect the thermal expansion of a hemisphere?

The thermal expansion of a hemisphere can be affected by the material it is made of, the temperature change, and the shape and size of the hemisphere. Different materials have different thermal expansion coefficients, so the amount of expansion will vary. Additionally, the shape and size of the hemisphere can also affect the amount of expansion.

How can thermal expansion of a hemisphere be calculated?

The thermal expansion of a hemisphere can be calculated by multiplying the thermal expansion coefficient of the material by the change in temperature and the original size of the hemisphere. This will give the amount of expansion or contraction in length, which can then be used to calculate the change in volume of the hemisphere.