Thermal Expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder

In summary, Sherry found that the new volume is pi*(5.9471+6.1163)*(18.0+18.028512) or 16471.6. The equation she originally used, which assumed linear dimensions with temperature, worked too.
Sherry
I need help with coming up with a formula for this question: A hollow aluminum cylinder 18.0 cm deep has an internal capacity of 2.000 L at 18 C. It is completely filled with turpentine and then warmed to 84 C. How much turpentine overflows? If the cylinder is then cooled back to 18 C, how far below the surface of the cylinder's rim is the turpentine's surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expansion is roughly linear, so all you need is the coefficient of thermal expansion. Can you take it from there?

Sort of, I have to take into account expansion for the turpentine AND the aluminum cylinder. My physics prof. told me to use this formula:

New Volume = pi(r + “delta” r)"squared" (h + “delta” h) I could then solve the problem. However, when I do this equation I come up with a huge number which means that I would lose most of the turpentine and this doesn’t seem right to me.

What are your values for r and h?

For the volume of 2000 cm"3" (2.000 L) and height of 18.0 cm I have a radius of 5.9471. For the height change I used the linear expansion formula and got "delta" h = 0.028512.

Now to find the "delta" radius I tried to two different ways:

Using the change in volume from (9.0E-4)(2000)(66) I get a "delta"
V of 118.8 So I used: 118.8 = pi X r"2" X "delta" h which produced a new radius of 36.42 Obviously way to high of a number. So then I tried:

2118.8 = pi X r"2" X 18.028512 and got a new radius of 6.1163. This seemed more reasonable so I moved on to the formula my prof. gave me:

New Volume = pi X (5.9471 + 6.1163)"2" X (18.0 + 18.028512) giving me a new volume of 16471.6 Seems way to high.

So then I tried (6.1163 - 5.9471 = 0.1692 as the "delta" r):

New Volume = pi X (5.9471 + 0.1692)"2" X (18.0 + 0.028512)= 2118.8 This takes me right back to where I was and my prof. says that number is wrong.

OK, let's take a quick look:

...Shouldn't you be calculating using something like:
[tex]\frac{274+84}{274+18}[/tex] instead of [tex]66[/tex]?

If the linear dimensions are linear with temperature, then there may be a better approach for calculating the new volume:

[tex]V'=V_0 * f^3[/tex]

where f is the linear ratio that you get from thermal expansion.

This assumes that
[tex]\frac{\Delta h}{h}=\frac{\Delta r}{r}[/tex]

You should be able to apply the same formula to the turpentine, reducing the amount of work you need to do.

Originally posted by Sherry
For the volume of 2000 cm"3" (2.000 L) and height of 18.0 cm I have a radius of 5.9471. For the height change I used the linear expansion formula and got "delta" h = 0.028512.

Now to find the "delta" radius I tried to two different ways:
Why don't you apply the same linear expansion formula to find Δr?

I would like to thank everyone that tried to help me. It turns out that I was using the right formula all along. Why my prof. tried to have me do it the hard way is one answer that I will never know. When I asked him he didn't even know. But thanks again for your help.

Related to Thermal Expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to increase in size when its temperature increases. This is due to the increase in the average kinetic energy of the particles within the material, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. How does thermal expansion affect a hollow aluminum cylinder?

Thermal expansion can cause the hollow aluminum cylinder to increase in size when heated, and decrease in size when cooled. This is due to the expansion or contraction of the metal's molecules, which can cause stress and potential damage to the cylinder if not accounted for.

3. What factors can affect the thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder?

The thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder can be affected by the material's coefficient of thermal expansion, the change in temperature, and the dimensions of the cylinder. Other factors such as the surrounding environment and any external forces may also play a role.

4. How is thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder measured?

The thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder can be measured using a device called a dilatometer. This device measures the change in length of the cylinder as it is heated or cooled, and can determine the coefficient of thermal expansion of the material.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder?

Understanding the thermal expansion of a hollow aluminum cylinder is important in engineering and construction, as it can help determine the appropriate dimensions and materials to use in order to prevent potential damage or failure due to temperature changes. It is also relevant in fields such as aerospace and automotive industries, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary for safe and efficient operation.