Thermal expansion of metals question.

In summary, the length of the aluminum bar measured at 29.4 degrees C would be approximately 20.70556m using the equation L = L0(1+\alpha\DeltaT). This can also be calculated using the method described in the conversation.
thepatient

Homework Statement

You use a steel measuring tape and measure the length of an aluminum bar. You measure a length of 20.700 m when the temperature is 21.2 degrees C. What is the measured length when the temperature is 29.4 degrees C?

Homework Equations

L = L0(1+[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\Delta[/itex]T

Coefficient of linear expansion:
Aluminum: 2.4x10^-5 C^-1
Steel: 1.2x10^-5 C^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've never taken a course that introduced heat and thermodynamics, but I read through my Physics book and became interested in this problem in particular. I wasn't sure if my logic was correct.

First, I calculated the new length of the aluminum bar.
L = 20.700m*(1+2.4x10^-5 C^-1 *(29.4-21.2)C ) = 20.704m

Now, the steel measuring tape:
L = 20.700m*(1+1.2x10^-5C^-1*(29.4-21.2)C) = 20.702m

Now, since the measuring tape also increases its size, the true measurement of 20.702m at 29.4 degrees will actually read 20.700m, so I assumed that you can take the change in measurement and find out the change of measurement per meter.

Change in measurement per meter = 0.002/20.700m. For every 20.700m marked on the measuring tape, there is an increase of 0.002m in the measurement. So I assumed I can use this ratio of change in length divided by marked length to find the new change in length of the aluminum bar, using the steel measuring tape.

20.704m*0.002m/20.700m = 2.0003865x10^-3m, meaning that from the original measurement of 20.700m, the reading increases by this amount so:

On the steel tape:
L = 20.700m + 2.0003865x10^-3m = 20.70200039m. But since this is a measurement correct to the thousandth digit, then L = 20.702m

Is this correct? Does what I did made sense? Is there a more straightforward way of approaching this problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, great question! Your logic is correct and your approach is a valid way to solve this problem. However, there is a more straightforward way to approach this problem using the equation you listed in your attempt at a solution.

L = L0(1+\alpha\DeltaT)

We know the initial length (L0) is 20.700m, the coefficient of linear expansion of aluminum is 2.4x10^-5 C^-1, and the change in temperature is 29.4-21.2 = 8.2 C. Therefore, we can plug these values into the equation to find the new length (L) at 29.4 degrees C.

L = 20.700m(1+2.4x10^-5 C^-1 * 8.2C) = 20.70556m

This is very close to the value you calculated in your attempt at a solution, so your method is also correct. However, this approach may be a bit easier and more straightforward for those who may not be as familiar with thermodynamics equations.

Great job thinking through this problem and using your knowledge from the textbook to come up with a solution! Keep up the good work.

Related to Thermal expansion of metals question.

1. What is thermal expansion of metals?

Thermal expansion of metals refers to the increase in size or volume of a metal when it is heated. This expansion is a result of the increased movement and vibration of the metal's atoms, which causes the metal to expand in all directions.

2. Why do metals expand when heated?

Metals expand when heated because heat energy causes the atoms in the metal to vibrate more rapidly. This increased vibration causes the atoms to take up more space, leading to an expansion of the metal's size or volume.

3. How does thermal expansion affect the properties of metals?

Thermal expansion can affect the properties of metals in various ways. It can cause changes in the metal's dimensions, density, and conductivity. It can also lead to stress and strain in the metal, which can impact its strength and durability.

4. What factors can affect the thermal expansion of metals?

The thermal expansion of metals can be influenced by a number of factors, including the type of metal, its composition, and the temperature changes it experiences. The shape and size of the metal object can also play a role in its thermal expansion.

5. How is thermal expansion of metals measured?

The thermal expansion of metals is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which represents the amount of expansion that occurs per degree change in temperature. This value is determined through experiments and can vary for different types of metals.