Thermal Expansion of Water in glass

In summary, when an ordinary drinking glass is filled with 266.3 mL of water at 3°C and left on a sunny pool deck, the water's temperature rises to 32°C. Using the volume expansion coefficients for glass and water, the amount of water that spills over the top of the glass is approximately 1.41325 mL. However, there could be discrepancies in the answer depending on the significant digits required, units specified, and any standard data tables used.
ManuelGR

Homework Statement

An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water (266.3 mL) at 3°C and placed on the sunny pool deck for a swimmer to enjoy. If the temperature of the water rises to 32°C before the swimmer reaches for the glass, how much water will have spilled over the top of the glass?

(Use the following values for the volume expansion coefficients:
For glass 28.2e-6/C and for water 207.0e-6/C)

Homework Equations

V=V0*B*T

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my book, the B for water is 210*10^-6.

I plugged in the values that I have, getting V=266.3*(210*10^-6)*29, and get 1.62177.

I do the same for glass, getting V=266.3*(27*10^-6)*29, and get 0.208513.

I subtract the 0.208513 from 1.62177 and get 1.41325.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody know?

Why do you think the answer's wrong? It looks right to me.

ideasrule said:
Why do you think the answer's wrong? It looks right to me.

The assignment is online and the answer I got comes up as incorrect.

That could be due to a lot of reasons. Does the online app care about significant digits? Did it ask for the answer in mL, or in another unit? Is there a standard data table that you're supposed to use? (I notice that the coefficients you used in your problem statement are different from those in your solution.)

Related to Thermal Expansion of Water in glass

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the phenomenon in which matter (such as liquids, solids, and gases) expands or increases in volume as its temperature increases.

2. Why does water expand when heated?

Water is a polar molecule, meaning it has a positive and negative end. When heated, the molecules in water gain energy and move faster, causing them to push apart from each other and take up more space, leading to expansion.

3. How does thermal expansion of water in glass affect the glass?

When water expands in a glass container, it exerts pressure on the walls of the container. This can cause the glass to crack or break if the expansion is significant enough.

4. How does the thermal expansion of water in glass affect the accuracy of measurements?

The expansion of water in glass can affect the accuracy of measurements, particularly in laboratory experiments. This is because the volume of the liquid is changing as its temperature changes, making it difficult to obtain precise measurements.

5. Can thermal expansion of water in glass be controlled?

Thermal expansion of water in glass can be controlled to some extent by using materials with different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE). For example, using a glass container with a lower CTE can reduce the risk of breakage due to thermal expansion.