Thermal Physics: Ice skating temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation to estimate the coldest temperature at which good ice skating can occur. It also mentions the importance of understanding the specific volumes of ice and liquid water in this equation. However, it is noted that the reason ice skates slide well on ice is more complex than just pressure causing the ice to melt and become slippery.
H.fulls

Homework Statement

It is said that good ice skating only occurs when the ice below the skates melts. Using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, estimate the coldest temperature at which good ice skating can occur. (Water expands 9% on freezing, Latent heat of ice melting is 334 kJ/Kg, the contact area is 1mm by 5cm and the skater weighs 70kg, water has a molar mass of 18g)

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dp}{dT}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]

or I think rearranged like this

[itex]p_{0}[/itex]-p = [itex]\frac{L}{\DeltaV}[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{T_{0}}{T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the pressure exerted as 1.372 x [itex]10^{7}[/itex] kg/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]
I realize that we want the ice to be melting.. so 273k at this pressure, so I need to find the temperature at normal room pressure of 101 KPa.
However I don't know what to use for the volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
H.fulls said:
[itex]\frac{dp}{dT}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]

or I think rearranged like this

[itex]p_{0}[/itex]-p = [itex]\frac{L}{\Delta V}[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{T_{0}}{T}[/itex]

Often, you can get an accurate enough answer without integrating by treating the right hand side of the Claussius-Clapeyron equation as constant over the temperature changes involved. Then you can just write it as

[itex]\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta T}[/itex] ≈ [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]
I have found the pressure exerted as 1.372 x [itex]10^{7}[/itex] kg/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]
This looks correct except for how you expressed the units. Pressure is force per unit area, not mass per unit area.
However I don't know what to use for the volume?

The volumes ##V_1## and ##V_2## are "specific" volumes (i.e., volumes per kg of material). Note that water is odd in that the ##V_1## (for ice) is greater than ##V_2## (for liquid water).

... and the answer comes out around -1.0 degree ??

Agreed ... it is far more complex.

Related to Thermal Physics: Ice skating temperatures

What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, specifically focusing on the relationship between temperature, heat, and energy.

What is the relationship between temperature and ice skating?

The temperature of the ice surface directly affects the ability of an ice skater to glide and maneuver. As the temperature decreases, the ice becomes harder and more slippery, allowing for faster and smoother movements.

Why does the temperature of the ice surface matter?

The temperature of the ice surface is important because it determines the thickness and structure of the ice. If the temperature is too warm, the ice will melt and become too thin, making it difficult to skate on and potentially dangerous. If the temperature is too cold, the ice will become too hard and brittle, also making it difficult to skate on.

What is the ideal temperature for ice skating?

The ideal temperature for ice skating is between 22-26 degrees Fahrenheit (-5 to -3 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, the ice is hard enough to support the weight of the skater, but not too hard that it becomes too slippery.

Can temperature affect the performance of an ice skater?

Yes, temperature can greatly affect the performance of an ice skater. As mentioned earlier, the temperature of the ice surface directly affects its hardness and slipperiness, which can impact the skater's ability to glide, stop, and perform other maneuvers. Extreme temperatures can also affect the skater's body, causing muscle cramps or fatigue.