Thermal transfer estimation (to simulate a game)

In summary, the formula for estimating heat loss in an airship needs to take into account factors such as pressure, wind speed, temperature, air viscosity, thermal capacity of the atmosphere, and gravity. The shape and wind direction can be ignored, as well as heat transfer through the envelope via conduction. However, heat transfer through convection and radiation from the envelope should be considered, with convection potentially affecting the surface temperature and thus the radiation. The thermal conductivity of hydrogen should also be taken into account. If the envelope has a good insulator, the heat transfer would only be the value that can cross the insulator.
AngelLestat
I am trying to get a formula to estimate the heat lose in an airship.

Is a mod for KSP, things that have into account: pressure, wind speed, temperature, air viscosity, thermal capacity of the atmosphere, gravity, etc.

There are things that can be ignored as shape (or just use constant aproximations) wind direction, etc.

I was reading a lot, but I am not sure how to combine all heat transfer equations.

Theory: if I have an airship with higher temperature inside.
How the heat trasnfer works?

We have a heat transfer between the interior gas with the exterior envelope, (here the gas may be hydrogen and there is not external wind speeds).
Or maybe this step can be ignore?

Second step, heat transfer through the envelope (conduction), this step can be ignored too?

Third step heat transfer due convection and radiation from the envelope.
Here I have some doubts, I need to add these 2? In case heat transfer by convection is higher, then the surface will be cold, so heat transfer due radiation should be lower?
This taking into account that heat transfer from the gas inside is not so good as the outside.

What happens if the envelopes has a good insulator?
then the heat transfer is just the value which can cross the insulator and I ignore the exterior effects?

I want to be sure of this before show any equation. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
AngelLestat said:
Second step, heat transfer through the envelope (conduction), this step can be ignored too?
You're talking a thin enough envelope for most lighter than air craft that, "Yes," you can ignore it.
AngelLestat said:
Third step heat transfer due convection and radiation from the envelope.
Here I have some doubts, I need to add these 2? In case heat transfer by convection is higher, then the surface will be cold, so heat transfer due radiation should be lower?
This taking into account that heat transfer from the gas inside is not so good as the outside.
The thermal conductivity of hydrogen (and helium) is higher than that of any gases in which a hydrogen filled ship will be buoyant.

AngelLestat said:
then the heat transfer is just the value which can cross the insulator
Yes.

Related to Thermal transfer estimation (to simulate a game)

1. What is thermal transfer estimation?

Thermal transfer estimation is a scientific method used to simulate the thermal behavior of a game or gaming system. It involves analyzing the transfer of heat energy between different components within the system, such as the processor, graphics card, and cooling system.

2. Why is thermal transfer estimation important in game development?

Thermal transfer estimation is important in game development because it helps developers understand how the heat generated by the system's components affects its performance and reliability. This information is crucial in designing efficient cooling solutions and preventing overheating, which can cause damage to the system.

3. How is thermal transfer estimation performed?

Thermal transfer estimation is typically performed using mathematical models and computer simulations. These models take into account factors such as the power consumption of each component, the airflow within the system, and the thermal properties of the materials used.

4. What are the benefits of using thermal transfer estimation in game development?

Using thermal transfer estimation in game development can help optimize the performance and longevity of the system. It can also aid in the design of more efficient and quieter cooling systems, as well as reducing the risk of hardware failure due to overheating.

5. Are there any limitations to thermal transfer estimation?

While thermal transfer estimation is a valuable tool in game development, it is not a perfect representation of real-world conditions. Factors such as ambient temperature, user behavior, and dust accumulation can affect the actual thermal performance of a system. Therefore, it should be used as a guide rather than an exact measurement.

Back