Thermodynamic Potentials in Proper Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of H, F, and G in terms of their proper variables for a solid with energy for one mole. Maxwell's relations are mentioned and it is suggested to find pressure and temperature in terms of their respective partial derivatives. This helps solve the problem without needing differentials.
coca-cola

Homework Statement

A solid has energy (for one mole):

##U_1 =\frac{S^2}{a_1}+b_1V(V-2V_0)##

Write H, F, and G in terms of their proper variables.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's relations and
H=U+PV
F=U-TS
G=U-TS+PV

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
H, for example:

I have tried writing dV as a sum of partial derivatives times total differentials:

##dV=\frac{\partial V}{\partial S}dS+\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}dP##

I have no idea how to get V in terms of S and P.

I have similar problems for the other cases.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Under relevant equations you mentioned Maxwells equations.

Maxwell's relations. I still don't know how that gives anything concrete.

Well, probably the first step is to find pressure as ##p=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}|_S## and an analogous relation for temperature. For the rest, you don't even need differentials.

Last edited:
DrDu said:
Well, probably the first step is to find pressure as ##p=\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}|_V## and an analogous relation for temperature. For the rest, you don't even need differentials.

How did you find that?

Sorry, I was already thinking in temperature when writing down this. I corrected the expression in #4.

Thanks sir! Your response helped me solve the problem.

Related to Thermodynamic Potentials in Proper Variables

1. What are thermodynamic potentials in proper variables?

Thermodynamic potentials in proper variables are mathematical functions that describe the equilibrium state of a thermodynamic system. They are expressed in terms of proper variables, which are quantities that are independent of the system's size or shape.

2. What are the most commonly used thermodynamic potentials?

The most commonly used thermodynamic potentials are the internal energy, enthalpy, Helmholtz free energy, and Gibbs free energy. These potentials are useful in different situations and can be used to calculate various thermodynamic properties of a system.

3. How do thermodynamic potentials differ from each other?

Thermodynamic potentials differ from each other in terms of the variables they are expressed in. For example, internal energy is expressed in terms of entropy and volume, while enthalpy is expressed in terms of entropy and pressure. Additionally, each potential has a different physical interpretation and is useful in different thermodynamic processes.

4. How are thermodynamic potentials related to each other?

Thermodynamic potentials are related to each other through a set of mathematical equations known as the Maxwell relations. These relations are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and allow for the conversion of one potential into another. For example, the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation relates the Gibbs free energy to the Helmholtz free energy.

5. What is the significance of using proper variables in thermodynamics?

Using proper variables in thermodynamics allows for a more general and concise description of the equilibrium state of a system. This approach is useful because it eliminates the dependence on system-specific parameters, such as the system's size or shape, and allows for easier comparison between different systems. Additionally, thermodynamic potentials in proper variables provide a more intuitive understanding of the physical processes occurring in a system.