Thermodynamics - Calculating K of reaction

In summary, calculating the equilibrium constant (K) allows us to determine the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It is calculated by dividing the concentrations of products by the concentrations of reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. The value of K is constant and determined by the nature of the reactants and products at a given temperature. Temperature can affect the value of K, with an increase potentially leading to an increase or decrease depending on the reaction's exothermic or endothermic nature. Additionally, the value of K can be used to predict the direction of a reaction, with a value greater than 1 indicating a favoring of products, a value less than 1 indicating a favoring of reactants, and
Bill Nye Tho

Homework Statement

Establish K at 298K for the reaction:

2N2O4 (g) + O2 (g) → 2N2O5 (g)

Homework Equations

ΔG° = -RTlnK

The Attempt at a Solution

I've established that ΔG° = 34.4 kJ/mol (Correct) but for some reason when I solve for:

K = eΔG°/-RT

K = e34.5/(-(8.314)(298)) = .98495

I get the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, silly me... The units for my gas constant are in Joules not kJoules.

Got it.

Related to Thermodynamics - Calculating K of reaction

1. What is the purpose of calculating the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction?

Calculating the equilibrium constant allows us to determine the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It also provides information about the relative concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium.

2. How is the equilibrium constant (K) calculated?

K is calculated by dividing the concentrations of products by the concentrations of reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. The concentrations used in the calculation should be at equilibrium.

3. Can the equilibrium constant (K) be changed?

No, the value of K is determined by the nature of the reactants and products in a chemical reaction and is constant at a given temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant (K)?

The value of K is temperature-dependent. As temperature increases, the value of K may increase or decrease depending on whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

5. How can the equilibrium constant (K) be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

If the value of K is greater than 1, the reaction will favor the products at equilibrium. If the value of K is less than 1, the reaction will favor the reactants at equilibrium. If the value of K is close to 1, the reaction is close to equilibrium and the concentrations of reactants and products will be similar.