Thermodynamics, cannot reach the answer (Reichl's book related)

In summary, the conversation discusses a binary mixture of particles and its Gibbs free energy, with the equations for calculating mole fractions and conditions for equilibrium between phases. The solution involves taking the partial derivative of G with respect to n1 while keeping P, T, and n2 constant, and x1 and x2 are not constants but rather depend on n1 and n2.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a binary mixture of particles of types 1 and 2 whose Gibbs free energy is given by ##G=n_1 \mu _1 ^0 (P,T)+n_2 \mu _2 ^0 (P,T) +RT n_1 \ln x_1 +RTn_2 \ln x_2 +\lambda n x_1x_2##.
Where ##n=n_1+n_2##. And ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the mole fractions of particles 1 and 2 respectively.
The book on page 159 states that the conditions ##\mu _1 ^I=\mu _1 ^{II}## and ##\mu _2 ^I=\mu _2 ^{II}## where the upperscript denotes the phase. I have no problem to understand that those conditions must be fulfilled for equilibrium when there's a coexistance of phases.
But now comes the part where I struggle. From the condition ##\mu _1 ^I=\mu _1 ^{II}##, I'm supposed to find that ##RT \ln x_1 ^I + \lambda (1-x_1 ^I)^2=RT \ln x_1 ^{II}+\lambda (1-x_1 ^{II})^2##.
But I don't reach this.

Homework Equations

##\left ( \frac{\partial g}{\partial n_1} \right ) _{T,P,n_2} =\mu _1##.
##x_2=1-x_1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##\mu _1 =\left ( \frac{\partial g}{\partial n_1} \right ) _{T,P,n_2}=\mu _1 ^0 (P,T)+RT \ln x_1 + \lambda x_1 (1-x_1)##.
So if I use the condition ##\mu _1 ^I = \mu _1^{II}##, I'd get ##RT\ln x_1 ^I + \lambda x_1 ^I (1-x_1 ^I )=RT\ln x_1 ^{II} + \lambda x_1 ^{II} (1-x_1 ^{II} )##. Which differs from the equation I'm supposed to find.
I know I simply have to derivate g=G/n with respect to ##n_1## while keeping P, T and ##n_2## constant, but I'm simply failing at that apparently.
I've rechecked the algebra many times, I really don't see where I go wrong. My friend told me he reached the good result, so I know I've went wrong somewhere.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
x1 and x2 are not constants. They depend on n1 and n2.

Likes 1 person
Thank you TSny, I overlooked this.

Related to Thermodynamics, cannot reach the answer (Reichl's book related)

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some amount of energy will be lost in the form of heat. This means that the total entropy of an isolated system will always tend to increase over time.

3. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is often referred to as the measure of the unavailable energy within a closed system that is not available for work.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is present in many aspects of everyday life, from the functioning of our bodies to the operation of engines and refrigerators. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various processes.

5. What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes in thermodynamics?

A reversible process is one that can be reversed by infinitesimal changes to its parameters, while an irreversible process is one that cannot be reversed without significant changes to the system. In thermodynamics, reversible processes are idealized, while most real-world processes are irreversible.