Thermodynamics [Constant Vapor Pressure Problem]

In summary, you did not understand the problem statement and were not able to provide a meaningful solution.
MrMechanic

Homework Statement

There are expanded 0.90kg/s of steam at constant pressure from 3MPa and 70% quality to a final state. If the process is nonflow for which W = 121.3kJ/s, find (a) The final temperature, (b) Q, (c) the available part of Q for a sink temperature of to = 27 Celsius

• Answers : a) 282 celsius, b) 966 kJ/s, c) 414 kJ/s

Homework Equations

Wnf = P(V2-V1)
Q = H2 - H1
but there's mass, so
Wnf = mP(V2-V1)
Q = m(H2 - H1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the steam table for Sat. Pressure. And I got V1 = Vf1 + x(Vfg1) = 47.04095 x 10^-3 m^3/kg
And so,
Wnf = mP(V2-V1)
121.3 = (0.90)(3MPa)(V2 - 47.04095)
So i Got 91.96687593 x10^-3 m^3/kg
Checking it in table 3 from the steam table the temperature is way off the mark of the desired answer.

Is there another way around it? Please help me. The answers are written above ... below the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
How can this be a nonflow process if the flow rate is 0.9 kg/s?

Chet

Likes MrMechanic
From my understanding the liquid vapor was at 70% quality before it turns into a steam having 0.9kg/s.
Either way the problem is really hard to understand. If i can figure out what's initially there before turning into steam.

MrMechanic said:
From my understanding the liquid vapor was at 70% quality before it turns into a steam having 0.9kg/s.
Either way the problem is really hard to understand. If i can figure out what's initially there before turning into steam.

No, that's not how vapor quality works, and it is not what is described by the problem statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_quality

According to the OP, you already have steam with a vapor quality of 70% and a pressure of 3 MPa entering the machine, where it then expands while doing work (or more accurately having a power output) of 121.3 kJ/s. This means that the specific volume of the steam entering is low, and the specific volume of the steam coming out is greater, since it has expanded while doing the work.

Likes MrMechanic
I see. Thanks for clearing that. From the link that you gave. I found out that I can use X = Mass of vapor / Mass total. I have 0.70 as x but 0.90kg/s is mass of vapor or mass total?

It's total mass flow. And, even though the problem statement says that it's a nonflow process, it definitely appears to be a flow process.

Chet

It's the total mass flow rate.

0.7 = Mass of the Vapor / 0.90
Mass flow rate of the vapor = 0.63 kg/s
I got V1 = 0.04704095 m^3/kg
and V2 = 0.09196687593 m^3/kg
By using interpolation from the steam table of 3MPa i get 353 degrees Celsius. Is there something wrong?
And V1 is from the saturated temp of 3MPa which is 233.90 celsius at the steam table.

I'm sorry. I still don't understand the problem statement, and whether the problem should be treated as flow or non-flow. So, I'm going to drop out of the discussion.

It does look like you determined the initial temperature correctly.

Chet

FAQ: Thermodynamics [Constant Vapor Pressure Problem]

1. What is the meaning of constant vapor pressure in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, constant vapor pressure refers to the condition where the pressure of a vapor in equilibrium with its liquid or solid phase remains constant, regardless of changes in temperature or volume. This is a characteristic property of substances that have a fixed boiling point.

2. How is constant vapor pressure related to the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which its vapor pressure is equal to the external pressure. At this point, the liquid will begin to vaporize and the vapor pressure will remain constant as long as the temperature is kept constant.

3. How does temperature affect the vapor pressure of a substance?

According to the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, the vapor pressure of a substance increases as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures result in more energetic molecules, which leads to more frequent collisions and an increase in the number of molecules that are able to escape from the liquid phase and enter the vapor phase.

4. Can the vapor pressure of a substance be higher than the external pressure?

Yes, the vapor pressure of a substance can be higher than the external pressure. This is known as superheating and occurs when the external pressure is lower than the vapor pressure at a given temperature. When this happens, the liquid will not boil until the temperature is increased enough to reach the boiling point.

5. How is constant vapor pressure used in practical applications?

Constant vapor pressure is an important concept in many practical applications, such as in the design of pressure cookers and distillation processes. It is also used in the determination of the vapor pressure of substances, which can be used to predict their behavior in different environments and conditions.