Thermodynamics Efficiency Of Adiabatic Compressor

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about finding the efficiency of a compressor that compresses 100kg of methane in a closed chamber from 0.5MPa and 300K to 3.0Mpa and 500K. The compression process is assumed to be adiabatic and the specific heat capacity of methane under constant pressure is 35.58 kJ/k.mol.K, while the ideal gas constant is 8.314 kJ/k.mol.K. The participants also discuss the use of Carnot's cycle and the equations PV=nRT and W=Q+dU to calculate the efficiency. Some suggest using the reversible work divided by the actual work, while others mention using enthalpy equations to
taki123
1. 100kg of methane is compressed from 0.5MPa and 300K to 3.0Mpa and 500K in a closed chamber by a compressor. The compression process is assumed to be adiabatic, calculate the efficiency of this compressor. Specific heat capacity of methane under constant pressure is 35.58 kJ/k.mol.K and ideal gas constant is 8.314 kJ/k.mol.K.
I have managed to work out the work done by the compressor, and 2 volumes but am not sure how to use them to get the efficiency of the compressor. I believe it has something to do with carnots cycle, but I am not exactly sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. PV=nRT
W=Q+dU
Carnot efficiency
n=m/Mr

3. W=-nCvdT
R=Cp-Cv
So:Cv=35.58-8.314= 27.27
n= 100/16 = 6.25 moles
Therefore: W=-6.25 x 27.27 x (500-300) = -34087.5 kJ
PV=nRT
V1= (6.25 x 8.314 x 300)/(0.5 x 106)= 0.031 m3
V2= (6.25 x 8.314 x 500)/(3.0 x 106)= 8.67x10-3 m3

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Taki123

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking efficiency = delta U/W. Since Q = 0 that makes the answer kind of obvious! But I don't know what they really had in mind with "efficiency of the compressor" either.

How much work would have been done between the initial pressure and the final pressure if the process had been adiabatic and reversible?

Chestermiller said:
How much work would have been done between the initial pressure and the final pressure if the process had been adiabatic and reversible?

I see what you mean, but even if I did that how would I get to the efficiency of the compressor? I keep finding formulas for efficiency which include Q, but since its adiabatic Q=0.

rude man said:
I'm thinking efficiency = delta U/W. Since Q = 0 that makes the answer kind of obvious! But I don't know what they really had in mind with "efficiency of the compressor" either.

Since Q=0 then W=deltaU so dividing them would just give me 1.

taki123 said:
Since Q=0 then W=deltaU so dividing them would just give me 1.
In this context, the efficiency is the least possible amount of work that would have been required to compress the gas between the initial and final pressures, divided by the actual amount of work that was required.

Chestermiller said:
In this context, the efficiency is the least possible amount of work that would have been required to compress the gas between the initial and final pressures, divided by the actual amount of work that was required.

Sorry but could you please explain just a bit more I'm very confused. The work that I have worked out is the amount of work done right? So what am I dividing or multiplying it by?

May i ask way methane? I ask because I am working on a project involving methane and wondering if we are working in the same field?

iwant2beoz said:
May i ask way methane? I ask because I am working on a project involving methane and wondering if we are working in the same field?

Its just a question set at university.

taki123 said:
Sorry but could you please explain just a bit more I'm very confused. The work that I have worked out is the amount of work done right? So what am I dividing or multiplying it by?
Do you know how to calculate the amount of work along a reversible path? You can calculate the efficiency as the reversible work divided by the actual work. Unfortuately, the amount of reversible work is path dependent. I would tend to calculate it along an adiabatic reversible path from the initial pressure to the final pressure. But, you could also go from the initial volume to the final volume adiabatically and reversibly, and then heat it reversibly at constant volume to get to the final temperature and pressure. There is certainly ambiguity about how the efficiency should be calculated.

Chet

For conveniences sake ill give theoretical values the subscript [th] and actual values [ac]

As E=mc(delta)T you could look at efficiency as (delta)T[th]/(delta)T[ac] (the two mc terms cancel out).

You can work out (delta)T[th] by finding T[2][th] which is T[1]*(P[2]/P[1])^((gamma-1)/gamma), where gamma is C[p]/C[v]

Then (delta)T[th]=T[2][th]-T[1]

Using your values i got 78%

btw taki i find it amazingly coincidental that i also received exactly the same question from my thermodynamics lecturer recently as Q1 out of a set of 4.

Last edited:
We were told to work it out using enthalpy. We used deltaU=cv(T)dt and deltaH=cp(T)dt
Doing this we got 76.6%
Any thoughts?

Demonchicken said:
btw taki i find it amazingly coincidental that i also received exactly the same question from my thermodynamics lecturer recently as Q1 out of a set of 4.

Can i ask if your question 2 was latent heat, question 3, carnot cycle and question 4 an algebraic answer to heat exchange?

alicejoanne said:
Can i ask if your question 2 was latent heat, question 3, carnot cycle and question 4 an algebraic answer to heat exchange?

It was indeed :) q2 cooling water with ice, q3 carnot and q4 heat transfer but with no given values. btw if your q4 is the same as mine were you able to do it? As its the only one I'm stuck on.

alicejoanne said:
We were told to work it out using enthalpy. We used deltaU=cv(T)dt and deltaH=cp(T)dt
Doing this we got 76.6%
Any thoughts?

What exactly did you do for the whole calculation? I'm a tad confused how you used those equations to get to the answer.

Related to Thermodynamics Efficiency Of Adiabatic Compressor

1. What is thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor?

The thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor is a measure of how well the compressor converts the input energy into useful work. It is the ratio of the output work to the input energy and is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. How is the thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor calculated?

The thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor is calculated by dividing the work output by the energy input. This can be represented by the equation: Efficiency = (Work Output / Energy Input) x 100%.

3. What factors affect the thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor?

There are several factors that can affect the thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor, including the type of gas being compressed, the temperature and pressure of the gas, the speed of the compressor, and the design of the compressor.

4. Why is it important to have a high thermodynamics efficiency in an adiabatic compressor?

A high thermodynamics efficiency in an adiabatic compressor means that more of the input energy is being used to do useful work, rather than being wasted as heat. This can result in cost savings and increased performance of the compressor.

5. Can the thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor be improved?

Yes, the thermodynamics efficiency of an adiabatic compressor can be improved through various methods such as using more efficient compressor designs, optimizing operating conditions, and using advanced materials. However, there is a theoretical limit to the maximum efficiency that can be achieved for a given compressor.