Thermodynamics - efficiency of power plant

In summary, the power plant generates 2000MW of heat energy from nuclear reactions in the reactors core. This energy is used to boil water and produce hight pressure steam at 300degreeC. The steam spins a turbine, which produces 700MW of electric power, then the steam is condensed and the water is cooled to 30degreeC before starting the cycle again.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

a power plant generates 2000MW of heat energy from nuclear reactions in the reactors core. this energy is used to boil water and produce hight pressure steam at 300degreeC. the steam spins a turbine, which produces 700MW of electric power, then the steam is condensed and the water is cooled to 30degreeC before starting the cycle again.

a.what is the max possible thermal efficiency of the power plant?
b.what is the plants actual efficiency?
c.cooling water from a river flows through the condenser at the rate of 1.2x10^8L/hr. if the river water enters the condenser at 18degreeC what is is exit temperature?

Homework Equations

efficiency(carnot)=1-(Tc/Th)
efficiency=Wout/Qh
Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 1-(303/573)=47%
b. Wout/Qh=Power/(Qh/t)=7x10^8/2x10^9=35%
c. now the others were easy (i think lol) this one kinda gets me) what I've done is,
Power=(Qh/t)-(Qc/t) therefore (Qc/t)=(Qh/t)-Power=1.3x10^9W
then 1.2x10^8L/hr*3600s=33333.33L/s
so Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
so Tf=(Q/(mc))+Ti=(1.3x10^9/33333.33*4190)+291=44.2degreeC

now i seen this same question in another thread, but their specific heat was 4160? and they also did something weird, i don't understand... but i don't think mine is right, can anyone help me, or confirm that i am right?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any ideas?

Your analysis and answer is correct. You can look up the specific heat of water. It is one calorie/gram K or 4186 J/Kg K at 20C. There is some temperature dependence on this but I wouldn't worry about it.

AM

ok, thankyou very much for your confirmation = )

ok, I am just kinda thinking back on my work now, but does 44.2degreeC sound realistic? the river water goes in at 18degreeC and gets heated by the condensing steam then leaves but would it really heat up by 26degreeC? so that river water doesn't then cool to 30degreeC and goes in the cycle does it? i guess that kinda makes sense...

anyone?

Check your arithmetic. I get an increase of 9 degrees for a final temperature of 27 degrees.

3.3 x 10^4 Litres pass through each second and the plant must release 1.3 x 10^9 Joules per second. So each litre of water must absorb 3.9 x 10^4 Joules. Since absorbtion of 4.2 x 10^3 Joules raises the temperature of one litre by 1 degree, the water temp. rises 9 degrees when absorbing this heat.

AM

yes ok i completely understand wat ur saying, cept where does the 4.2x10^3 J come from, how do i get it? and how would i write that? since its not really using the formula...

omg, I am sooo srry, stupid dyslexic me, c as 1490, instead 4190... srry, ok now i g 27.3degeeC, thanks heaps

Related to Thermodynamics - efficiency of power plant

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to power plants?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformation. In the context of power plants, it helps us understand how energy is converted from one form to another, such as from heat to electricity.

2. What is the efficiency of a power plant and why is it important?

The efficiency of a power plant is a measure of how much of the energy input is converted into usable output (e.g. electricity). It is important because a higher efficiency means less wasted energy and lower operating costs.

3. How is the efficiency of a power plant calculated?

The efficiency of a power plant is calculated by dividing the useful output (e.g. electricity) by the total energy input (e.g. fuel). This is typically expressed as a percentage.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of a power plant?

There are many factors that can affect the efficiency of a power plant, including the type of fuel used, the design and condition of the equipment, and the operating conditions (e.g. temperature, pressure). Maintenance and proper operation are also important factors.

5. How can the efficiency of a power plant be improved?

The efficiency of a power plant can be improved through various methods, such as using more efficient equipment and technologies, optimizing operating conditions, and implementing effective maintenance and monitoring practices. It can also be improved by utilizing waste heat or implementing cogeneration systems.