Thermodynamics freezer problem

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the volume of water that can be turned into ice cubes by a freezer in 1.0 hour at 0oC, given a coefficient of performance of 7.0 and a power input of 1.0 kilowatt. The formula C.O.P.=QL/W is used, with Q representing the fusion energy and L representing the latent heat of fusion. The mistake in the calculation is identified and the correct conversion of 1000J/s in 1 KW is clarified. The thread cannot be closed by the participant.
soccer4life
1. What volume of water at 0oC can a freezer make into ice cubes in 1.0 hour, if the coefficient of performance of the cooling unit is 7.0 and the power input is 1.0 kilowatt?
2. C.O.P.=QL/W
Q=mlfusion
[itex]\rho[/itex]=m/v

3. I found QL by using the above formula, which gave me 700J. Next I used Q=ml (l=333000j/kg) to find the mass which is where I got .002 kg (I'm pretty sure that this is where I made my mistake.) Next I know to use the formula for density to divide the mass by the density of water (1 x 103. Can somebody point out where I made a mistake, or if my thinking is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you 700J for QL ? Shouldn't it be 7J.

How many J/s are in 1 KW?

Sorry, I figured out the problem (1000J/s in 1 KW instead of 100...,) but don't know how to close the thread (if possible.) Thanks for the responses though!

Only Administrators can close threads, so don't worry.

Likes 1 person

Related to Thermodynamics freezer problem

1. What is the Thermodynamics freezer problem?

The Thermodynamics freezer problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves understanding how heat and energy are transferred and conserved in a closed system, such as a freezer. It is often used as a real-world application of the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Why is the freezer problem important?

The freezer problem is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of thermodynamics, which are essential for many scientific and engineering applications. It also highlights the challenges of designing and maintaining efficient cooling systems.

3. What are the main components of the freezer problem?

The main components of the freezer problem include the internal temperature of the freezer, the external temperature of the surrounding environment, the insulation of the freezer, and the heat transfer processes involved. These components interact to determine the rate of cooling and the final temperature of the freezer.

4. How is the freezer problem solved?

The freezer problem can be solved using the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the laws of conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics. The solution involves calculating the rate of heat transfer and the change in temperature over time, taking into account the properties of the materials and the efficiency of the cooling system.

5. What are some real-life examples of the freezer problem?

The freezer problem can be seen in everyday situations, such as when we open the freezer door and the temperature inside increases, causing the cooling system to work harder to maintain the desired temperature. It is also relevant in industrial applications, such as refrigeration systems used in food storage and transportation, and in the design of efficient air conditioning systems.