Thermodynamics gas turbine question

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses determining the turbine inlet pressure for a gas turbine process with known temperatures and efficiency. Three different methods were used, all resulting in a similar answer. It is reasonable to assume the process is isentropic due to the given turbine efficiency. The equation for turbine efficiency is mentioned as well. The expert assures that the methods and calculations are correct and suggests including the turbine efficiency in the calculations for a slightly different answer. The expert also offers help and clarification if needed.
bkh5074

Homework Statement

Air enters a gas turbine at 1600K and exits at 100kPa and 830K. The turbine efficiency is 85%. Determine the turbine inlet pressure?

Homework Equations

(I used 3 different methods and got a similar answer. I just don't understand if I was correct in assuming something.)

P=pressure, T=temp, s=entropy

First I used the Relative Pressure to find P1. P1=P2*(Pr1/Pr2)

Second I used the entropy change approximate analysis. (s2=s1 this is what I assumed)

s2-s1=0=cp_avg*Ln(T2/T1)-R*Ln(P2/P1) : Rearrange to solve for P1

Third I used EES which is basically assuming s2=s1, and used T1 and s1 to find P1

The Attempt at a Solution

First method: P1=P2*(Pr1/Pr2) P2 is given = 100kPa, I used the table to find Pr1 and Pr2 from the Temperatures given. P1=100*(791.2/55.1) = 1435.93kPa

Second method: cp_avg = 1.163, R = 0.287
(1.163)*Ln(830/1600)-(0.287)*Ln(100/P1)
P1=1428.694kPa

Third using EES and I got P1=1435.048kPa

So basically I got the same answer each time, but I wasn't sure if I was correct to assume s2=s1. The problem doesn't specify it's an Isentropic process. Am I to assume that is this case? I don't think that the turbine efficiency is any help either.
Or maybe I'm doing this all totally wrong, My Thermo Professor goes through class so fast and I just try my best to follow along and understand stuff. That's why I joined this forum for some extra help.

Thanks to all,
BKH

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello BKH,

Based on the information given, it is reasonable to assume that the process is isentropic because the turbine efficiency is given. In an isentropic process, the entropy remains constant, which is why you were able to use the equation s2-s1=0 to solve for P1. Your methods and calculations seem correct, and it is good that you got similar answers each time. This shows that your calculations are consistent and accurate.

One thing to note is that the turbine efficiency is defined as the ratio of the actual work output to the ideal work output. So if you want to include the turbine efficiency in your calculations, you could use the equation W_actual = W_ideal * efficiency, where W_actual is the actual work output, W_ideal is the ideal work output, and efficiency is the turbine efficiency. This would give you a slightly different answer for P1, but it would still be in the same range as your previous calculations.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts and your calculations are correct. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Thermodynamics gas turbine question

1. What is a thermodynamics gas turbine?

A thermodynamics gas turbine is a type of engine that converts the energy of hot gases into mechanical energy. It operates on the principles of thermodynamics, utilizing a continuous cycle of compressing air, adding heat, and expanding the gas to produce power.

2. How does a gas turbine work?

A gas turbine works by compressing air and mixing it with fuel in a combustion chamber. The hot gases produced from the combustion process then expand and pass through a series of turbine blades, causing them to spin. As the blades rotate, they power a generator, producing electricity.

3. What are the main components of a gas turbine?

The main components of a gas turbine include the compressor, combustion chamber, turbine, and generator. The compressor and turbine are often referred to as the "hot" and "cold" sides of the turbine, respectively, as they operate at different temperatures.

4. What are the advantages of using a gas turbine?

Gas turbines have several advantages, including high efficiency, low emissions, and the ability to quickly start and stop. They are also versatile and can be used in a variety of applications, such as power generation, aviation, and industrial processes.

5. What are the limitations of gas turbines?

One limitation of gas turbines is their high initial cost. They also require a constant supply of fuel to operate, making them less suitable for remote or off-grid locations. Additionally, gas turbines have a lower efficiency compared to other power generation technologies, such as steam turbines.