Thermodynamics heat sink questions

In summary, the task at hand is to maintain the temperature of a device below 40 C. The device operates for 5 minutes and then turns off until the temperature reaches the ambient temperature of 25 C. To achieve this objective, 10 heat sinks of different weights ranging from 0.1 kg to 1.0 kg are attached to the device. Using EES to solve the equations, it is determined that the heat sinks need to have a mass of 20 g and a specific heat of 850 J/kg-K to keep the temperature below 40 C. It is discussed that using materials with lower or higher specific heats than aluminum for the heat sinks may affect the outcome. The Second Law of Thermodynamics is used to
tamumechengr
1.Task is to maintain the temperature a device, lower than 40 C. The unit is operating for 5 minutes and then turned off for a time period that the device temperature reaches ambient temp 25 C. Suppose you have 10 heat sinks of different weights...0.1,0.2,0.3,...1.0 kg. Determine the temperature of the unit when the heat sinks are attached to the unit. Plot the temperature without the heat sink and together, (i.e. total 11 points) and find the weight that you achieve this objective. Discuss outcomes what will happen if you use materials of lower or higher specific heats than that of aluminum for the heat sink.

specs of device
30 W power consuming unit
mass= 20 g
specific heat= 850 J/kg-K

Anyone have any ideas to solve this out theoretically... I have EES to solve equations. Not sure exactly where to start.

Homework Equations

Second Law of thermodynamics?

The Attempt at a Solution

(Qin + Win +(m(h+v^2/2+gz))in)-(Qout + Wout +(m(h+v^2/2+gz))out)=Esys
if you put this into rate form i believe the DEsys/dt=0...I don't think you need the m(h+v^2/2+gz part on either...
Win would be 30 W...
Qin+Win-Qout-Wout=0? not sure where to go from here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what exactly is happening with this problem but it looks like you have an electrical device that you need to run for 5 minutes (300 seconds) at a maximum temperature of 40 C. Q*Time=M*C*(delta T) shows that the device reaches 40 C in about 8.5 seconds so you need to add aluminum heat sinks to absorb some of the heat generated. We are assuming no convection or radiation heat transfer.

Q_gen*time= Q_device+ Q_alum heat sink where Cp for alum is 0.9 J/g*K. You can solve directly for the mass of the heat sink needed to keep temp < 40 C

Related to Thermodynamics heat sink questions

1. What is a heat sink?

A heat sink is a device that is used to dissipate heat from a system or component. It is typically made of a thermally conductive material, such as metal, and is designed to maximize the surface area in contact with the surrounding environment in order to efficiently transfer heat away.

2. How does a heat sink work?

A heat sink works by conducting heat away from a hot component, such as a processor in a computer, and dissipating it into the surrounding environment. The heat sink's design, with fins or other structures, increases its surface area, allowing for greater heat transfer. The heat is then dissipated through convection, where the surrounding air absorbs the heat and carries it away.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of a heat sink?

The effectiveness of a heat sink is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, the surface area available for heat transfer, and the airflow around the heat sink. Additionally, the temperature difference between the heat sink and the surrounding environment can also impact its effectiveness.

4. Can a heat sink be used to cool anything?

Yes, a heat sink can be used to cool any component or system that generates heat. This can include electronic devices, engines, and other machinery. The size and design of the heat sink may vary depending on the specific application and the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated.

5. How do I choose the right heat sink for my application?

Choosing the right heat sink for your application depends on several factors, including the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated, the available space for the heat sink, and the desired cooling performance. It is important to consider the material, size, and design of the heat sink in order to ensure efficient heat transfer and cooling.