Thermodynamics - heat transfer calculation

In summary, when R=2.8 Pink Batts are replaced by R=3.2 Pink Batts, there is a 12.5% increase in reduction of heat loss per 1.0m^2 of wall when the temperature difference is 15 degrees Celsius.
urgent

Homework Statement

to conserve heat energy in a home, R=2.8 Pink Batts are replaces by R=3.2 Pink Batts. calculate the percentage increase in reduction of heat loss per 1.0m^2 of wall when the temperature difference is 15degrees celsius.

Homework Equations

P=A(Th-Tc)/ R

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to do this:
1(15)/ 6= 2.5
i do not think this is the right answer, it's a question form my last year's exam paper and i really need to know this for my exam in 2 days..please help =] thx

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, as a scientist, I can provide you with the correct solution to your problem. Firstly, let's define the variables in the equation you provided. P represents the rate of heat loss, A represents the area of the wall, Th represents the temperature inside the house, Tc represents the temperature outside the house, and R represents the thermal resistance.

Now, let's calculate the percentage increase in reduction of heat loss per 1.0m^2 of wall when the temperature difference is 15 degrees Celsius for R=2.8 Pink Batts and R=3.2 Pink Batts.

For R=2.8 Pink Batts:
P= 1(15)/2.8= 5.36

For R=3.2 Pink Batts:
P= 1(15)/3.2= 4.69

Now, let's calculate the percentage increase in reduction of heat loss:
(5.36-4.69)/5.36 x 100= 12.5%

Therefore, by replacing R=2.8 Pink Batts with R=3.2 Pink Batts, there is a 12.5% increase in reduction of heat loss per 1.0m^2 of wall when the temperature difference is 15 degrees Celsius. I hope this helps and good luck on your exam!

Related to Thermodynamics - heat transfer calculation

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of energy transfer from one body or system to another due to a temperature difference. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time, or remain constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process.

What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid (liquid or gas), and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves without the need for a medium.

Back