Thermodynamics isothermal expansion problem that wants us to find initial volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a projectile being accelerated using a compressed air cannon with a frictionless "piston" within a cylinder. The problem asks to find the minimum volume needed to provide a velocity of 42 m/s at the gun exit, given certain initial pressure and mass values. The attempted solution involves using the conservation of energy and work equations, but the problem may be undefined due to the lack of information about the temperature.
eggheadd

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass M kg is accelerated from rest to V m/s using a compressed air cannon. conceptually, we may consider the projectile to be a frictionless "piston" within a cylinder that is closed at one end and open to the atmosphere at the other end.

Before firing, the projectile is pushed into the cylinder where it is secured by some sort of catch. during this process a mass, m, of air at a pressure of P kPa(absolute) is trapped behind the "piston". The catch holding the "piston" is released, allowing the air to push it down the barrel of the "gun" until it emerges at its final velocity.

Assume that the expansion is isothermal. Find the miniumum volume V1(L) needed to provide a velocity 42 m/s at the gun exit, given that the initial pressure P1 is 899 kPa, atmospheric pressure P0 is 100 kPa and the "piston" mass M is 10 kg.

The answer for this question is 7.504, it already got graded, I'm just trying to figure out how it's solved. Does anyone know how?

Homework Equations

Cons of energy: Q-Wother= ΔU +ΔKE +ΔPE
Work= P1V1ln(V2/V1)
ΔKE= .5(M)v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ΔPE is 0 and Q is 0 since there's no heat put into the system. so i end up with

-P1V1ln(V2/V1)=mgas(u2-u1) +.5(M)v^2
but i don't know V1,V2, or mgas. Can anyone help me with this. The answer is 7.504 but i don't know how the prof got that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Why do you assume Q=0? It's an isothermal process, not an adiabatic one.

2. What is the temperature T?

3. Next step is to compute p2, the pressure difference between the mass inside the barrel and atmospheric just before exiting the barrel. That is readily done.

3. BUT - I think (right now) that this problem is undefined. One is left with 3 unknowns (V1, V2 and m) and only two state equations. If anyone of those three is known, the rest is straightforward. Maybe I'll think of something else later. Did you state the problem verbatim as given to you? I'm suspicious since you didn't mention T, for example.

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics isothermal expansion problem that wants us to find initial volume

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the conversion of heat into other forms of energy and the relationship between temperature, energy, and work.

What is isothermal expansion?

Isothermal expansion is a process in which a gas expands at a constant temperature. This results in a change in volume, but no change in temperature or internal energy.

What is the initial volume?

The initial volume is the starting volume of the gas before expansion occurs. In the context of an isothermal expansion problem, it is the volume of the gas at the beginning of the process.

How do we find the initial volume in an isothermal expansion problem?

To find the initial volume in an isothermal expansion problem, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the number of moles of gas and the temperature. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for the initial volume.

Why is finding the initial volume important in an isothermal expansion problem?

Finding the initial volume is important because it allows us to calculate other variables, such as the final volume or the work done during the expansion. It also helps us understand the relationship between volume and temperature in an isothermal process.