Thermodynamics : molar specific heats for gases

In summary, when calculating the change in air temperature due to the metabolism of an audience in a concert hall, the constant volume heat capacity of a monatomic ideal gas should be used, which is 3/2 R. Using this value, the calculated change in temperature is 43.1 K, while using the heat capacity of a diatomic gas (5/2 R) results in a temperature change of 45.8 K. This discrepancy may be due to the trace levels of gases in air that may have different heat capacities.
R2D2

Homework Statement

An audience of 2750 fills a concert hall of volume 35000 m3. If there were no ventilation, by how much would the temperature of the air rise over a period of 2.0 h due to the metabolism of the people (70 W/person)?

Homework Equations

Q= nCvΔT
Cv= (3/2) R

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since the v keeps constant, we use Cv to calculate the change of T of the air. We want to get the value of ΔT and we know n and Cv.

The total heat release by audience: 2750 x 70 x 2.0 x 60 x 60 = 1386000000 J

PV=nRT, so n = PV/RT = (1.013 x 10^5 x 35000) / (8.314 x (20 + 273.15)) = 1454713 mole

Cv = 1.5 x 8.314 =12.471

ΔT = Q/ (n x Cv) = 76.3 K... which doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about your answer doesn't make sense?

Oh sorry! I forgot to add that the answer is 43.1 K.

(3/2)R is the constant volume heat capacity of a monatomic ideal gas. Give you any ideas?

Yes I am kind of confused about which volume heat capacity I should use, since there are both monatomic and diatomic gas in air.
For diatomic gas, the heat capacity is 5/2 R, but I don't know if I should use that.

R2D2 said:
Yes I am kind of confused about which volume heat capacity I should use, since there are both monatomic and diatomic gas in air.
For diatomic gas, the heat capacity is 5/2 R, but I don't know if I should use that.

Which gases are monatomic? Nitrogen (79% of air)? Oxygen (21%)? Looks like everything else in the air is basically at trace levels only.

SteamKing said:
Which gases are monatomic? Nitrogen (79% of air)? Oxygen (21%)? Looks like everything else in the air is basically at trace levels only.

So Cv should be 5/2 R instead of 3/2 R!
but I plug in Cv = 5/2 R I get 45.8 K as the answer, still not correct.. I don't know what is going wrong here with three degrees difference.

anyone helps? : P

Related to Thermodynamics : molar specific heats for gases

1. What is molar specific heat for gases?

Molar specific heat for gases is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a gas by one degree Celsius at a constant pressure.

2. How is molar specific heat for gases different from molar specific heat for solids and liquids?

Molar specific heat for gases is generally lower than that of solids and liquids because gases have more degrees of freedom and therefore require less energy to increase their temperature.

3. What is the relationship between molar specific heat for gases and the gas's molecular structure?

The molar specific heat for gases is directly related to the number of atoms in the gas molecule and the complexity of its molecular structure. Gases with larger molecules and more bonds tend to have higher molar specific heats.

4. How do you measure the molar specific heat for gases?

Molar specific heat for gases can be measured experimentally by using a calorimeter and measuring the change in temperature of a known quantity of gas when a known amount of heat is added or removed.

5. What is the significance of molar specific heat for gases in thermodynamics?

Molar specific heat for gases is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps us understand how gases react to changes in temperature and how much energy is required to cause these changes. It also allows us to calculate the amount of heat needed for a specific process involving gases.