Thermodynamics perfect gas Question

In summary, the partition function for a perfect gas containing N monatomic particles of mass m at a temperature T is Z =(1/N!)*VN[2(Pi)mkT/h2]3N/2. Using this partition function, one can find the molar Helmholtz free energy, molar internal energy, and molar heat capacity at constant volume of the gas. The molar entropy of the gas is also given by S = R[lnV/NA+(3/2)ln T +5/2+(3/2)ln(2(Pi)mk/h2)], and a general expression for the change in entropy as a function of temperatures and volumes can be derived. This expression is consistent
senan

Homework Statement

The partition function for a perfect gas containing N monatomic particles of mass m at a
temperature T is
Z =(1/N!)*VN[2(Pi)mkT/h2]3N/2
(2a) Use this partition function to find the molar Helmholtz free energy, molar internal
energy and molar heat capacity at constant volume of the gas.
(2b) Show that the molar entropy of the gas is given by
S = R[lnV/NA+(3/2)ln T +5/2+(3/2)ln(2(Pi)mk/h2)]

and find a simple, general expression for the change in entropy as a function of the temperatures and volumes of the initial and final states.
(2c) Show that this expression for the entropy of the gas is consistent with the expected
change in entropy for (i) an isothermal expansion of one mole of gas from volume V1 to
volume V2 and (ii) heating of one mole of gas from temperature T1 to temperature T2 at
constant volume.
P

Homework Equations

F=-kTlnZ
Cv=(dQ/dT)v
Cv=(dE/dT)v
E=-(dlnZ/dβ) with β=kT

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the helmholtz free energy using the F=-kTlnZ formula. I tried to get the Cv by getting E and then getting (dE/dT)v but the equation is very messy and long and I'm not sure its right. Is E the molar internal energy or do I need another formula.

I havn't really attempted the next two parts but help for part 1 would be appreacited thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the formula for internal energy (E):
[tex]E = \beta^2 \frac{d(lnZ)}{d \beta}[/tex]

otherwise, I don't think the units work out.

Also, for these types of problems, here's what I like to do. After finding the Helmholtz free energy (F), I like to use the relation:
[tex]S = - \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}\right)_V[/tex]
(you should be able to show this easily from the definition of Helmholtz free energy), and then get the internal energy from the relation F = E - TS.

I think using F = E - TS and S = -(dF/dT) relation will make things easier...

Related to Thermodynamics perfect gas Question

1. What is a perfect gas in thermodynamics?

A perfect gas is a theoretical concept used in thermodynamics to describe a gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. In a perfect gas, the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, making it easier to analyze and understand gas behavior.

2. What are the assumptions made about a perfect gas in thermodynamics?

The assumptions made about a perfect gas in thermodynamics include: 1) the molecules have no volume, 2) there are no intermolecular forces, 3) the molecules are in constant random motion, 4) collisions between molecules and with container walls are perfectly elastic, and 5) the average kinetic energy of the molecules is directly proportional to the absolute temperature.

3. How does temperature affect a perfect gas in thermodynamics?

In a perfect gas, temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of the molecules. As temperature increases, the molecules move faster and have more kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in pressure and volume. Inversely, as temperature decreases, the molecules move slower and have less kinetic energy, leading to a decrease in pressure and volume.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in a perfect gas in thermodynamics?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure and volume are inversely proportional in a perfect gas. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa, as long as the temperature and number of molecules remain constant. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law.

5. How is the behavior of a perfect gas different from a real gas in thermodynamics?

In reality, no gas is truly perfect and all gases deviate from ideal behavior to some degree. This is because real gas molecules do have volume and interact with each other, and their behavior cannot be accurately described using the ideal gas law. Additionally, at high pressures and low temperatures, real gases can experience significant deviations from ideal behavior. These deviations are taken into account in the van der Waals equation of state, which is used to describe the behavior of real gases.