Thermodynamics/Phase Equilibrium

• Thread starter Brandon.8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the given data includes the triple point of water and its corresponding pressure and temperature, the density of water, and the latent heat of fusion at normal melting temperature. The problem is to calculate the density of ice, assuming there is 1 mol of water and a volume of .01802 L. The equation used to find the density of ice is dP/dT = deltaH/(T)(delta V) (clapeyron), which is derived from the linear equilibrium line separating the liquid and solid phases.
Brandon.8
Given Data:

triple point of water (.006 atm, .0075ºC).
density of water = 1 g/cm^3
latent heat of fusion = 6000 J/mol (at normal melting temperature)

Problem:

Calculate the density of ice?

I assumed there is 1 mol of water, thus the volume is .01802 L.

To calculate the density of ice I need to find the accompanying change in volume from liquid to solid. From my textbook, the only equation which relates liquid - sold phase equilibrium as a variation of temp and pressure is:

Pressure = deltaH/deltaV*ln(T) + constant

This seems useful but I am still not sure if it's the right equation.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind the equilibrium line separating phases is linear so I solved dP/dT = deltaH/(T)(delta V) (clapeyron). and then solved for density.

Related to Thermodynamics/Phase Equilibrium

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to matter and heat.

2. What is phase equilibrium?

Phase equilibrium refers to the state where two or more phases of matter coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium, meaning there is no net exchange of mass or energy between the phases.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and its transformations. They include the first law (conservation of energy), the second law (entropy always increases in a closed system), and the third law (absolute zero cannot be reached).

4. How is phase equilibrium determined?

Phase equilibrium is determined by the temperature, pressure, and composition of a system. These factors are interdependent and can be described by phase diagrams, which show the conditions under which different phases can coexist.

5. What is the importance of thermodynamics and phase equilibrium?

Thermodynamics and phase equilibrium are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of matter and energy in various systems. They have applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, engineering, and environmental science.