Thermodynamics- piston cylinder- 2nd law of thermodyamics

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of a piston moving within a cylinder, with a focus on determining the type of process that is occurring. The experts conclude that based on the given information, the process is a constant pressure process, as the pressures and forces remain constant throughout the movement of the piston. They also note that the p-V curve will not be pVγ, as there is heat being added to the system. The final answer is a straight line parallel to the x-axis.
student23
( part a only I don't understand how you know from this question that it is a constant pressure process.

I thought it is a polytropic process. So it will have a pVγ curve. I was drawing a pV curve.

The answer is a straight line parallel to x- axis.

My question: How do I know from looking at the question what kind of graph it will be and what process it will be? constant pressure, constant volume or etc?

Thanks,

Attachments

• q1.doc
    185.5 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi student. Consider a force balance on the piston. Note that they say the piston has negligible weight. How would the force up correlate to the force down as the piston moves within the cylinder and before it hits a step (ie: while it is sliding)?

Following on Q_Goest: If you do a free body diagram on the cylinder just before it starts to move, the force on top of the cylinder is 800 N and the force on the bottom of the cylinder is also 800 N so the pressure are also equal. Now let the volume increase just a little. A free body diagram shows that the forces (and pressures) stay the same. Let the volume increase a little more, same result, a free body diagram shows the forces (and pressures) above and below the cylinder are still 800 N. Since the pressures don't change, the cylinder must be under going a constant pressure process.

student23 said:
( part a only I don't understand how you know from this question that it is a constant pressure process.

I thought it is a polytropic process. So it will have a pVγ curve. I was drawing a pV curve.

The answer is a straight line parallel to x- axis.

My question: How do I know from looking at the question what kind of graph it will be and what process it will be? constant pressure, constant volume or etc?

Thanks,

The p-V curve will not be pVγ. That would be the case for an adiabatic (isentropic) process. You're adding heat Q. And yes, p stays constant as RTW69 points out. It's always atmospheric pressure.

I can understand your confusion about the type of process being described in the question. However, based on the information given, we can infer that the process is a constant pressure process. This is because the mention of a piston-cylinder system in thermodynamics usually refers to a system where the pressure is kept constant. Additionally, the 2nd law of thermodynamics states that in any thermodynamic process, the total entropy of the system and its surroundings always increases. In a constant pressure process, the pressure remains constant while the volume can change, leading to an increase in entropy.

Furthermore, the mention of a polytropic process or a pVγ curve does not necessarily indicate the type of process being described. A polytropic process is a general term used for any process where the relationship between pressure and volume can be described by the equation pV^n = constant, where n is the polytropic index. This can include both constant pressure and constant volume processes, depending on the value of n.

In conclusion, while the question may not explicitly state the type of process, we can infer from the given information that it is a constant pressure process. I hope this helps clarify your understanding.

Related to Thermodynamics- piston cylinder- 2nd law of thermodyamics

What is the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that in any thermodynamic process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally tend to disperse and become less organized, leading to a decrease in the overall availability of energy for work.

What is a piston-cylinder system?

A piston-cylinder system is a device used in thermodynamics to study the behavior of gases. It consists of a cylinder with a movable piston that can compress or expand the gas inside. The system is kept insulated to prevent heat exchange with the surroundings, and the gas is considered to be an ideal gas with no intermolecular forces.

How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics apply to a piston-cylinder system?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is applicable to a piston-cylinder system because it involves a closed system where energy is exchanged in the form of work and heat. As the gas expands or compresses, there will be changes in temperature and pressure, leading to changes in entropy. The 2nd law states that the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase, and this can be observed in the changes of the gas in the piston-cylinder system.

What is the difference between the 1st and 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 1st law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred and converted from one form to another. This law focuses on the conservation of energy. On the other hand, the 2nd law of thermodynamics focuses on the direction of energy transfer and states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In simpler terms, the 1st law deals with the quantity of energy, while the 2nd law deals with the quality or availability of energy.

How is the 2nd law of thermodynamics related to the concept of entropy?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is closely related to the concept of entropy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The 2nd law states that entropy will always increase over time, meaning that energy will naturally tend to disperse and become less organized. This increase in entropy is a direct result of the 2nd law and plays a significant role in many thermodynamic processes.