Thermodynamics problem involving piston and spring

In summary, the pressure increases as the temperature and pressure increases, but the volume increases which offsets the increasing pressure.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

$$W=P\Delta V$$
$$\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T$$

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
The gas is slowly heated. The temperature increases and the pressure increases as well. But since volume increases, the increases in pressure is nullified. The process is isobaric.
Only option (B) is correct since $$\Delta U=n\frac{R}{\gamma-1}(3T_1-T_1)=3nRT_1=3P_1V_1$$

But the question has multiple answer. Those who answered (B) and those who answered (A),(B),(C) got marks. How is (A),(B),(C) the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
But since volume increases, the increases in pressure is nullified.

I don't agree with the above reasoning. Write down the force the spring exerts on the surfaces it is attached to as a function of the deflection of the spring. Consider how the situation of the gas would be different if the lid were not attached to a spring at all and in addition if the lid were massless or we are saying there is no gravity involved.

Likes Titan97
Actually, this has nothing to do with the internal energy. It is strictly related to mechanics and the ideal gas law. If k is the spring constant, P is the pressure at any instant during the process, and A is the area of the piston, and the piston is essentially at equilibrium throughout the process, what is the relationship between k, x, P, and A?

Chet

Likes Titan97
@Chestermiller why can't I say that the process is isobaric? I got the answer by assuming the process is isobaric.

If you write an equation that balances the forces on the lid as the deflection of the spring increases, you will derive the answer to whether the process is isobaric or not.

You are correct that thinking the process is isobaric is the crux of your confusion.

it may help to think if yourself in the can pushing up against the lid. As the spring deflects, is the force against your hands constant, or does it increase?

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
@Chestermiller why can't I say that the process is isobaric? I got the answer by assuming the process is isobaric.
Fortuitous, I guess. To compress the spring, the pressure of the gas has to increase. Incidentally, this question is a little hokey because, the spring can't be in its relaxed state to begin with. Otherwise, there would be an unbalanced force on the piston initially. So, assume initially that the force of the spring initially just balances the force of the gas on the other side of the piston.

Likes Titan97
I can tell you what happened. They marked everybody correct, irrespective of their answers, because of the glitch I pointed out in the problem statement. So your answer wasn't really correct after all. Everyone was given credit even if they got the answer wrong. If this problem is done correctly, the pressure varies with the compression x of the spring from its unextended length as follows: ##PA-P_1A=k(x-x_1)##, where x1 is the initial compression of the spring. Starting from this relation, the real correct answer to this problem is C.

Likes Titan97
@Chestermiller the question is a "more than one correct type". So you can have multiple correct answers. So the combinations that were given marks: B and A,B,C

Chestermiller said:
PA−P1A=k(x-x_1)

Why ##PA-P_1##? Are you considering pressure on both side of piston?

Titan97 said:
@Chestermiller the question is a "more than one correct type". So you can have multiple correct answers. So the combinations that were given marks: B and A,B,C
Why ##PA-P_1##? Are you considering pressure on both side of piston?
No. The assumption is that there is negligible pressure on the spring side of the piston.

Initially, before any heat is added, a force balance on the piston gives:
$$P_1A=kx_1$$
During the heating process, the pressure on the piston rises to P and the compression of the spring rises to x. So, at any time during the heating, a force balance on the piston gives:
$$PA=kx$$
If we subtract the first equation from the second, we obtain:
$$PA=P_1A+k(x-x_1)$$or, equivalently,
$$P=P_1+\frac{k}{A}(x-x_1)$$
Do you follow this so far?

Likes Titan97
Yes, I do. Why are expressing P in terms of ##x-x_1## when you already have P in terms of ##x##?
Using work energy theorem, $$\int P(x)Adx-\int kxdx=0$$ assuming that ##\Delta\text{KE}=0##.

Titan97 said:
Yes, I do. Why are expressing P in terms of ##x-x_1## when you already have P in terms of ##x##?
Because all the choices for answers involve P's and V's, and not x's, k, and A. So we have to figure out a way of eliminating the x's, k, and A. Since in our problem, the piston moves to the right a distance ##x-x_1##, the volume the piston sweeps out is related to the change in volume of the gas ##V-V_1##. If A is the area of the piston, how is ##V-V_1## related to ##x-x_1##? If we substitute this relationship into the equation $$P=P_1+\frac{k}{A}(x-x_1)$$what do we get?

Chet

Likes Titan97
Initial volume is ##V_1=AL_1## of L1 is the initial length of cylinder containing gas.
##V=AL_2##
$$V-V_1=A(L-L_1)=A\Delta L=A(x-x_1)$$
What about the work energy relation in post #10?

Titan97 said:
Initial volume is ##V_1=AL_1## of L1 is the initial length of cylinder containing gas.
##V=AL_2##
What about the work energy relation in post #10?
That relationship is correct. So the energy stored in the spring is equal to the work done by the gas.
##V=AL_2##
If we substitute this equation into the equation ##P=P_1+\frac{k}{A}(x-x_1)##, we get:
$$P=P_1+\frac{k}{A^2}(V-V_1)$$
According to this equation, because of the constraint imposed by the spring, the pressure of the gas during our process will be a linear function of the gas volume. Since this equation must also pass through the point (V2,P2), we can use this fact to determine k/A2 in terms of P1, V1, P2, and V2. What is this relationship?

Likes Titan97
$$P_2=P_1+\frac{k}{A^2}(V_2-V_1)$$
$$\frac{k}{A^2}=\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}$$

Titan97 said:
$$P_2=P_1+\frac{k}{A^2}(V_2-V_1)$$
$$\frac{k}{A^2}=\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}$$
OK. If you take that and substitute it into the equation ##P=P_1+\frac{k}{A^2}(V-V_1)##, what do you get?

Likes Titan97
$$P=P_1+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}(V-V_1)$$

If ##V_2=3V_1 , T_2=4T_1##,
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}$$
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2\cdot 3V_1}{4T_1}$$
$$P_2=\frac{P_1V_1\cdot 4T_1}{3V_1T_1}$$
$$P_2=\frac{4}{3}P_1$$

By the way, (B) is anyway correct because the change in internal energy is always ##nC_vdT=\frac{nR}{\gamma-1}(3T_1-T_1)=3P_1V_1##

Titan97 said:
$$P=P_1+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}(V-V_1)$$

If ##V_2=3V_1 , T_2=4T_1##,
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}$$
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2\cdot 3V_1}{4T_1}$$
$$P_2=\frac{P_1V_1\cdot 4T_1}{3V_1T_1}$$
$$P_2=\frac{4}{3}P_1$$

By the way, (B) is anyway correct because the change in internal energy is always ##nC_vdT=\frac{nR}{\gamma-1}(3T_1-T_1)=3P_1V_1##
You're right. I used nRΔT rather than nCvΔT for ΔU. I don't know what I was thinking. Senior Moment.

Getting back to our problem, if we start with the P-V equation you correctly obtained, the next step is to determine the work done by the gas in expanding from ##V_1## to ##V_2##. Please don't substitute any of the cases into the equation yet. I would like to get the general result first. So what do you get when you integrate PdV between these two volumes?

Chet

Last edited:
Likes Titan97
$$\int_{V_1}^{V_2}PdV=P_1(V_2-V_1)+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}(\int_{V_1}^{V_2}VdV-V_1(V_2-V_1))$$
$$=P_1(V_2-V_1)+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}\big(\frac{V_2^2-V_1^2-2V_1(V_2-V_1)}{2}\big)$$
$$=P_1(V_2-V_1)+(P_2-P_1)\frac{V_2+V_1-2V_1}{2}$$
$$=\frac{2P_1(V_2-V_1)+(P_2-P_1)(V_2-V_1)}{2}$$
$$=\frac{(P_1+P_2)(V_2-V_1)}{2}$$

Titan97 said:
$$\int_{V_1}^{V_2}PdV=P_1(V_2-V_1)+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}(\int_{V_1}^{V_2}VdV-V_1(V_2-V_1))$$
$$=P_1(V_2-V_1)+\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}\big(\frac{V_2^2-V_1^2-2V_1(V_2-V_1)}{2}\big)$$
$$=P_1(V_2-V_1)+(P_2-P_1)\frac{V_2+V_1-2V_1}{2}$$
$$=\frac{2P_1(V_2-V_1)+(P_2-P_1)(V_2-V_1)}{2}$$
$$=\frac{(P_1+P_2)(V_2-V_1)}{2}$$
Excellent. That's what I get.

Now, in terms of ##P_1V_1##, determine the work W, the change in internal energy ΔU, and the heat added Q for each of the two changes they specify in the problem statement.

Then we'll be done, and we'll actually see which of the 4 choices (besides B) are correct.

Chet

Likes Titan97
If ##V_2=3V_1##, and for post #16, $$W=\frac{7}{3}P_1V_1$$

$$Q=U+W=3P_1V_1+\frac{7}{3}P_1V_1=\frac{16}{3}P_1V_1$$
So (D) is wrong.

If ##T_2=3T_1## and ##V_2=2V_1##, energy stored in spring = work done by gas
$$P_2=\frac{P_1V_1T_2}{V_2T_1}=\frac{3P_1}{2}$$
Energy stored in spring is ##\frac{5P_1V_1}{4}##. So (A) is wrong.

Hence correct answer is : (B),(C)

Titan97 said:
If ##V_2=3V_1##, and for post #16, $$W=\frac{7}{3}P_1V_1$$

$$Q=U+W=3P_1V_1+\frac{7}{3}P_1V_1=\frac{16}{3}P_1V_1$$
For this case, I get ##\Delta U=\frac{9}{2}P_1V_1##. Please double check.
Otherwise, we're in total agreement.

Nice work.

Chet

Likes Titan97
Oops. I used ##V_2,T_2## from second case. If ##T_2=4T_1## then ##\Delta U=\frac{9}{2}P_1V_1##

Likes Chestermiller
Titan97 said:
Energy stored in spring is ##\frac{5P_1V_1}{4}##. So (A) is wrong.

Hence correct answer is : (B),(C)
The spring constant is not the same in cases a,b and c,d. Using the appropriate spring constant, a) proves to be true.

ehild said:
The spring constant is not the same in cases a,b and c,d. Using the appropriate spring constant, a) proves to be true.
Huh? Can you please elaborate.

@ehild how can a spring "constant" change here?

Chestermiller said:
Huh? Can you please elaborate.
It was said that the spring was relaxed initially. If P1 V1 and T1 were the initial values of the state variables, the external pressure had to be P1.
In case a, heating the gas slowly, the new volume is V2=2V1 and T2 = 3T1, and a gas is in equilibrium. The forces on the piston are balanced so P1A + kx=P2A. The change of volume is V1=xA. From the ideal gas law P2=1.5 P1, So kx=0.5 AP1, and k=0.5 A2P1/V1.
The elastic energy of the spring is 0.5kx2 = 0.5 (0.5 A P1)V1/A= 0.25 P1V1.

In case C) the volume became V3=3V1 and the temperature T3=4T1. : P3=4/3 P1.
the force of the gas is balanced by the external pressure and the force of the spring. kx3=1/3 P1A and x3=2V2/A, so k=1/6 A2 P1/V1.

Likes Titan97 and TSny
ehild said:
It was said that the spring was relaxed initially. If P1 V1 and T1 were the initial values of the state variables, the external pressure had to be P1.
HI ehild,

Actually, we were puzzled by the statement that the spring is initially at its unextended length initially (see post #6). We decided that this was an error in the problem statement, and the spring was actually compressed initially to balance the pressure in the left chamber. We also assumed that there was vacuum in the right chamber. That's what our analysis was based upon.

You have assumed that the right chamber was initially at P1, and was somehow subsequently held at that pressure for all time. I never considered this as a possibility. I thought that if there was a gas enclosed in the right chamber, its pressure would change, but we didn't know its volume. So we went with the assumption that the right chamber was under vacuum.

So, in short, we've solved two different problems. Maybe your assumption of constant pressure in the right chamber was what they intended.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
HI ehild,

Actually, we were puzzled by the statement that the spring is initially at its unextended length initially (see post #6). We decided that this was an error in the problem statement, and the spring was actually compressed initially to balance the pressure in the left chamber. We also assumed that there was vacuum in the right chamber. That's what our analysis was based upon.

You have assumed that the right chamber was initially at P1, and was somehow subsequently held at that pressure for all time. I never considered this as a possibility. I thought that if there was a gas enclosed in the right chamber, its pressure would change, but we didn't know its volume. So we went with the assumption that the right chamber was under vacuum.

So, in short, we've solved two different problems. Maybe your assumption of constant pressure in the right chamber was what they intended.

Chet
The end of the cylinder may be open. I do not think it matters if initially the spring force balances the pressure of the gas or the external atmosphere.

Likes Titan97
ehild said:
I do not think it matters if initially the force balancing the force of the pressure of the gas was the initial tension of the spring or force of the external atmosphere. The end of the cylinder may be open
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Anyway, the OP got some good experience solving a problem (which may not have been the intended problem). Maybe you can take a look at what we did, based on our assumption, and see what you think.

Chet

Likes Titan97
Thanks, ehild. It did not occur to me that the region to the right of the piston could be interpreted as "open to the atmosphere", so to speak. That must have been the intended interpretation.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Thanks, ehild. It did not occur to me that the region to the right of the pendulum piston :smile: could be interpreted as "open to the atmosphere", so to speak. That must have been the intended interpretation.
Yes, the picture was misleading, but they emphasized that the spring was relaxed.

Chestermiller said:
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Anyway, the OP got some good experience solving a problem (which may not have been the intended problem). Maybe you can take a look at what we did, based on our assumption, and see what you think.

Chet
You answered b, c, d first. b included the temperature change only. c and d use the spring constant, and you answered a) with that spring constant, although the volume and temperature required an other k. It did not matter if the spring was relaxed or there was a constant ambient pressure.
The problem writer made and error with giving inconsistent data, although he did not state that it was the same spring in both experiments. Maybe, he just merged two problems together.

ehild said:
Yes, the picture was misleading, but they emphasized that the spring was relaxed.
Right. But I couldn't see how to make the problem consistent with a relaxed spring unless there was also a gas enclosed on the right side. But of course, then you would have to take account of the changing pressure of that gas. A mess.

TSny said:
Right. But I couldn't see how to make the problem consistent with a relaxed spring unless there was also a gas enclosed on the right side. But of course, then you would have to take account of the changing pressure of that gas. A mess.
Yes, it was a mess, but an open cylinder with a holder for the spring is a solution.

ehild said:
Yes, it was a mess, but an open cylinder with a holder for the spring is a solution.
I agree.

Back