Thermodynamics question 1 (question about mass)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different units, including lbf and lbm, and their conversion. The main focus is on finding the power needed to overcome drag and rolling resistance forces, using the given information such as area, drag coefficient, and velocity. The final formula for total power is shown, with the question of how to handle the "lbf" unit being raised and answered.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Alrighty then :smile:

I still cannot get used to texts that use lbf (lb force) and lbm (lb mass) and just plain old lb.
Metric is bomb.

I am trying to find the power needed too overcome drag and rolling resistance forces from this given info.

[itex]F_r=f\cdot W[/itex]=Rolling resistance force
[itex]F_d=C_dA\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2[/itex]=Drag force
Power=[itex]P=F\cdot V[/itex]
Area=A=23.3 sq ft
[itex]C_d=.34[/itex]
[itex]f=.02[/itex]
[itex]\rho=.08\frac{lb}{ft^3}[/itex]
[itex]v=55\frac{mi}{h}[/itex]
weight=[itex]w=3550lbf[/itex] <------how do I convert this term properly? I think I NEED TO

So, if P=F*V Total power is the sum of this product.

[tex]P=(\sum F)\cdot V[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow P=(f*w+C_dA\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2)v[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow P=(.02*3550lbf+.34*23.3ft^2*\frac{1}{2}*.08\frac{lb}{ft^3}*55^2\frac{mi^2}{h^2}*5280^2\frac{ft^2}{mi^2}*\frac{h^2}{3600^2s^s})*(55\frac{mi}{h}*\frac{5280ft}{mi}*\frac{h}{3600s})[/tex]I cannot tell what to do with that "lbf" ? I know that tyhis is really simple, but I am not used to these units :redface:

Little help? Thanks!EDIT: Is a lbf just a lbm*ft/s^2 ? I am assuming that density is given in lbm even though it does not specify...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry guys. I think I got it :smile:

I would suggest converting all units to a consistent system, such as SI units, to avoid confusion and ensure accurate calculations. In this case, you can convert the weight from lbf to N (newtons) by using the conversion factor 1 lbf = 4.448 N. This will give you a weight of 15801.4 N. Additionally, you can convert the density from lb/ft^3 to kg/m^3 by using the conversion factor 1 lb/ft^3 = 16.0185 kg/m^3. This will give you a density of 1284.6 kg/m^3. By using consistent units, you can accurately calculate the power needed to overcome drag and rolling resistance forces.

FAQ: Thermodynamics question 1 (question about mass)

1. What is the mass in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, mass refers to the quantity of matter present in a system. It is a fundamental property that is conserved in all physical and chemical processes.

2. How is mass related to energy in thermodynamics?

According to the mass-energy equivalence principle in thermodynamics, mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into each other. This is described by the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

3. Does mass affect temperature in thermodynamics?

Yes, mass does affect temperature in thermodynamics. The specific heat capacity of a substance is a measure of how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of that substance. Therefore, the mass of a substance can impact how much energy is required to change its temperature.

4. How is mass conserved in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, mass is conserved through all physical and chemical processes. This means that the total mass of a closed system remains constant, even if it undergoes changes in temperature, pressure, or composition.

5. Can mass be created or destroyed in thermodynamics?

No, mass cannot be created or destroyed in thermodynamics. This is known as the law of conservation of mass, which states that mass can only be transferred or transformed, but not created or destroyed.