Thermodynamics Question Calculating change in temperature

In summary, the problem involves a process of an ideal gas undergoing a change in pressure and volume while remaining proportional to each other. The initial pressure and volume are given, along with the specific heat capacities for the gas. The goal is to find the change in temperature for this process. By using the ideal gas law PV = nRT, it is possible to calculate the initial and final temperatures.
Gaith

Homework Statement

[/B]
50 moles of an ideal gas for which Cp= 5/2R and Cv=3/2R initially has a pressure of 1x10^5 Pa, and a volume of 1.0m^3. It undergoes a process where the pressure and volume both double while they stay proporitional to each other: P=constV. What is the change in temperature for this process?

Homework Equations

ΔU= Q-W
PV=nRΔT
ΔU= nCv(ΔT) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by trying to use PV=nRΔT and calculating T, however I wasnt successful. The answer in my book is in Kelvins, so I tried converting the temperature that I calculated to Kelvins, however it was still wrong.

I'm thinking that I might need to take the integral: ∫ PVdv but I am not sure if that's correct either.

Can somone please help me out, It would be greatly appreciated.

The correct answer is: 720K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
Gaith said:
PV=NRΔT

The above equation is not correct. The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, not PV = nRΔT.

From PV = nRT can you calculate the initial temperature? How about the final temperature?

From the ideal gas law, what is the initial temperature? From the ideal gas law, what is the final temperature?

Chet

Related to Thermodynamics Question Calculating change in temperature

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another. It also deals with the relationships between heat, work, and temperature.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is also known as the law of conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. How do you calculate change in temperature using thermodynamics?

To calculate change in temperature, you need to use the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is also known as specific heat or specific heat coefficient.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermodynamics?

Some real-life applications of thermodynamics include refrigerators, air conditioners, engines, power plants, and chemical reactions. Understanding thermodynamics is also crucial in fields such as material science, meteorology, and biology.