Thermodynamics question (ideal gas temperatures)

In summary, the question is asking if the absolute pressure of an ideal gas will double when the temperature is doubled while the volume is kept constant. The answer is that it depends on which temperature scale is used. If the temperature is doubled in Celsius, the absolute pressure will also double. However, if the temperature is doubled in Kelvin, the absolute pressure will increase exponentially. This can be seen by looking at the ideal gas law and the conversions between Celsius and Kelvin.
Koskesh

Homework Statement

The temperature of an ideal gas is doubled while the volume is kept constant...

Does the absolute pressure of the gas double when the temperature that doubles is A) the Kelvin temperature and B) the Celsius temperature. Explain?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't put the solution to this in words, but I think I might have the right idea... not sure.

1 degree celsius = 274 Kelvin, and if we were to double the celsius temperature we'd have the following:

2 degrees celsius = 275 Kelvin.

So while the celsius temperature doubles the absolute pressure of the gas doubles as well, but if Kelvin were to double then the absolute pressure of the gas wouldn't double but increase exponentially...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone throw me a bone here?

Difficult not to give the game away here really.
Look at the ideal gas law on wiki, look at the units of what is used.
This shows the temperature scale you should be using.

However: Try to put some numbers into the formula of an isochoric process using both c and K.Hmm acutually this question is confusing me acutally. I don't quite see the point in it as there is really only 1 scale you should be using when dealing with this sort of thing. Someones is going to have to jump in and save my *** now :(

Last edited:
I think you'll get it better if you look at the equations which convert Celsius to kelvin...

It is in fact hard to give you a hint here without giving the whole thing away... but look how the 2 are related... for instance, if you raise 1 degree Fahrenheit that's not equivalent to 1 degree celsius... if you raise 1 degree celsius, how is that related to raising by 1 kelvin?

FAQ: Thermodynamics question (ideal gas temperatures)

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law helps to understand the behavior of gases in different thermodynamic processes.

2. Can the ideal gas law be applied to real gases?

While the ideal gas law is a good approximation for most gases under normal conditions, it does not hold true for all gases. Real gases have intermolecular forces and occupy some volume, which affects their behavior. At high pressures and low temperatures, real gases deviate significantly from the ideal gas law.

3. How does temperature affect the behavior of an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the gas particles. This means that as the temperature increases, the particles move faster, and the pressure and volume of the gas also increase. At low temperatures, the gas particles have less kinetic energy and move slower, leading to lower pressure and volume.

4. What is absolute zero and how does it relate to ideal gas temperatures?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which a substance has minimal internal energy. According to the ideal gas law, at absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius), the volume of an ideal gas becomes zero, and the pressure also becomes zero. In other words, at absolute zero, an ideal gas would cease to exist.

5. How does the ideal gas law explain the relationship between pressure and volume in thermodynamics?

Based on the ideal gas law, when the temperature and the number of moles of a gas remain constant, the pressure and volume have an inverse relationship. This is known as Boyle's Law. As the volume of a gas decreases, the gas particles become more crowded, leading to increased collisions with the container walls and a higher pressure. Similarly, as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.