Thermodynamics, Specific Volume and Density

In summary, to find the overall specific volume and density of a 1m^3 container filled with .12 m^3 of diamonds, .15 m^3 of sand, .2 m^3 of petroleum at 20 deg Celcius, and .53 m^3 of air at 20 deg Celcius and 1 atm pressure, you need to find the mass of each substance and then calculate the overall density and specific volume.
bmed90

Homework Statement

A 1m^3 container is filled with the following

-).12 m^3 of Diamonds
-).15 m^3 of sand
-).2 m^3 of petroleum at 20 deg Celcius
-).53 m^3 of air 2 20 deg celcius and 1 atm pressure

Find overall specific volume and density of container

Homework Equations

density (p)= mass/ unit volume

specific volume= volume/unit mass or 1/density

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to look up the density for sand, diamonds, petroleum, and air for given conditions and find specific volume from there for each individual substance then add up all the specific volumes? Nothing is mentioned about the mass of each substance they just give volume so I don't know if I need to somehow find the mass of each substance

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess no one can help me out on this

Yes, you need to find out the mass of each substance in the container, and then find the overall mass in the container. Then convert that an overall density and specific volume.

Related to Thermodynamics, Specific Volume and Density

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, as well as the relationships between different forms of energy.

2. What is specific volume?

Specific volume is a measure of the amount of space an object or substance takes up per unit of mass. It is the reciprocal of density and is often used to compare the density of different materials.

3. How is density defined?

Density is defined as the mass of a substance per unit of volume. It is a physical property that describes how closely packed the particles of a substance are.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and specific volume?

As temperature increases, specific volume also increases. This is because as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance also increases, causing them to spread out and take up more space.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to specific volume and density?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This applies to specific volume and density, as changes in energy can cause changes in temperature, which in turn affects the specific volume and density of a substance.