Thermodynamics Steam Turbine Internal Efficiency Question

In summary, the conversation is about a steam turbine operating at a pressure of 7 MPa and a temperature of 500 deg C with an internal efficiency of 90%. The steam exhausts at a pressure of 20 kPa. The questions asked are about the exhaust enthalpy, turbine work, and the quality of the exhaust steam. The recommended equation for calculating the internal efficiency of a steam turbine is efficiency (turbine) = Actual turbine work / isentropic turbine work. The link provided leads to information about isentropic turbine efficiency.
frock
1. Steam into a steam turbine at 7 MPa and 500 deg C. The turbine has an internal efficiency of 90 %. The steam exhausts at 20 kPa.

1) What is the exhaust enthalpy?
2) What is turbine work?
3) What is the quality of the exhaust steam?

This is a question I got on a 2nd class boilers branch thermodynamics exam, can anyone tell me what is the equation for internal efficiency of a steam turbine?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any link steamking...?

Hi Frock,
The equation I suspect you are looking for is as follows:

efficiency (turbine) = Actual turbine work / isentropic turbine work

Thanks for all the replies guys. It was so simple, I am embarrassed. I have never heard Isentropic Efficiency referred to as Turbine Internal Efficiency and that threw me. If I didn't go into panic mode in the exam and had thought about it as Isentropic then I would have seen that the info they had given pointed to Isentropic. Once again thanks for the help.

Related to Thermodynamics Steam Turbine Internal Efficiency Question

1. What is the definition of internal efficiency for a steam turbine?

The internal efficiency of a steam turbine is a measure of how much of the energy contained in the steam is converted into mechanical work by the turbine. It is expressed as a percentage and is calculated by dividing the actual work output by the theoretical maximum work output.

2. How is internal efficiency different from overall efficiency?

Internal efficiency specifically measures the energy conversion within the steam turbine itself, while overall efficiency takes into account other factors such as energy losses in the rest of the system, such as piping and valves. Internal efficiency is typically higher than overall efficiency.

3. What factors affect the internal efficiency of a steam turbine?

The internal efficiency of a steam turbine is affected by various factors, including the temperature and pressure of the steam, the design and condition of the turbine blades, and the speed of the turbine rotation. Additionally, the efficiency may also be impacted by external factors such as the quality of the steam and any mechanical losses in the turbine.

4. How can the internal efficiency of a steam turbine be improved?

There are several ways to improve the internal efficiency of a steam turbine. These include increasing the steam temperature and pressure, optimizing the blade design for better energy conversion, and reducing any mechanical losses through regular maintenance and repairs. Additionally, using high-quality steam with low moisture content can also improve efficiency.

5. Why is the internal efficiency of a steam turbine important?

The internal efficiency of a steam turbine is important because it directly affects the performance and output of the turbine. A higher internal efficiency means that more of the energy in the steam is converted into mechanical work, resulting in a more efficient and cost-effective operation of the turbine. It also impacts the overall energy efficiency of the power plant or system in which the turbine is used.