Thermodynamics: Turbojet nozzles

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of thrust for a turbojet engine based on the temperature and pressure of the exiting gases. The thrust formula, using the mass flowrate and jet velocity, is provided. The calculation of jet velocity involves the assumption that the nozzle inlet velocity is negligible. The equation for jet velocity is given and the relationship between change in enthalpy and temperature is explained. The problem of determining the temperature at the nozzle inlet is addressed, with a suggestion to use the adiabatic condition to calculate the change in temperature.
mullzer
I have been trying this question all day:

hot gases exit the gas generator of a turbojet engine at a temperature of 1027 C and a pressure of 10 bar. If the mass flowrate of the exhaust gas is 10 kg/s, determine the thrust developed by the engine when the aircraft is a) stationary and b) traveling at 240 m/s.(you may assume that the nozzle is isentropic and that the exhaust gases exhibit ideal gas behaviour).

So far I have the thrust formula: T = massflowrate ( jet velocity - aircraft velocity).

In order to calculate the jet velocity, i used the fact that the square of the nozzle inlet veloctiy will be so small compared to the outlet velocity that it will be equal to 0.

This gives the equation: jet vel. = nozzle out vel. = (2 x change in enthalpy of the nozzle)^0.5

Therefore the change in enthalpy (assuming ideal gases) = C x change in temperature.

My problem is in finding what temperature to use at the nozzle inlet? should I just assume it to be atmospheric temperature (18C) or is there something to do with the outgoing pressure or the isentropy of the nozzle?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mullzer said:
I have been trying this question all day:

hot gases exit the gas generator of a turbojet engine at a temperature of 1027 C and a pressure of 10 bar. If the mass flowrate of the exhaust gas is 10 kg/s, determine the thrust developed by the engine when the aircraft is a) stationary and b) traveling at 240 m/s.(you may assume that the nozzle is isentropic and that the exhaust gases exhibit ideal gas behaviour).

So far I have the thrust formula: T = massflowrate ( jet velocity - aircraft velocity).

In order to calculate the jet velocity, i used the fact that the square of the nozzle inlet veloctiy will be so small compared to the outlet velocity that it will be equal to 0.

This gives the equation: jet vel. = nozzle out vel. = (2 x change in enthalpy of the nozzle)^0.5

Therefore the change in enthalpy (assuming ideal gases) = C x change in temperature.

My problem is in finding what temperature to use at the nozzle inlet? should I just assume it to be atmospheric temperature (18C) or is there something to do with the outgoing pressure or the isentropy of the nozzle?
Here are my thoughts. I think you have to assume an adiabatic expansion. Can you apply the adiabatic condition to find the change in temperature of the gas in undergoing a pressure change from 10 bar to 1 bar?

AM

FAQ: Thermodynamics: Turbojet nozzles

What is thermodynamics and how does it apply to turbojet nozzles?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationships between heat, work, and energy. In the context of turbojet nozzles, it helps us understand the conversion of thermal energy into kinetic energy to produce thrust.

How do turbojet nozzles work?

Turbojet nozzles work by taking in air, compressing it, adding fuel and igniting it, and then expelling the hot exhaust gases through the nozzle. This creates a high-velocity jet of gas that produces thrust.

What is the purpose of a convergent-divergent nozzle in a turbojet engine?

The convergent-divergent nozzle is designed to take advantage of the thermodynamic principles of expansion and compression to increase the velocity of the exhaust gases. The converging section compresses the hot gases, while the diverging section expands them, resulting in a higher velocity and thus more thrust.

How do different variables, such as pressure and temperature, affect the performance of a turbojet nozzle?

Changes in pressure and temperature can greatly impact the performance of a turbojet nozzle. Higher pressure and temperature in the combustion chamber can lead to a higher exhaust velocity and thus more thrust. However, there is an optimal range for these variables, and any changes outside of this range can decrease performance and potentially damage the engine.

What are the major challenges in designing and optimizing turbojet nozzles?

One of the main challenges in designing and optimizing turbojet nozzles is balancing the trade-offs between thrust, efficiency, and durability. A nozzle that produces high thrust may not be as efficient, and a more efficient nozzle may not be as durable. Additionally, accurately predicting and controlling the flow of exhaust gases through the nozzle is crucial for optimal performance.

Back