Thermodynamics with styrofoam cooler

In summary: I apologize for this far too late of response. I figured out the answer to this problem after grinding the problem for a while. I am done with my final for the first part of physics! I can not wait for the second part in a week :) Thanks again and talk to you soon.
physikx

Homework Statement

A cubical styrofoam cooler 80cm on a side and 2.0 cm thick contains 2.0kg of ice at 0C. If it takes four hours for the ice to melt what is the outside temperature? K(st)=.02 w/m*K

Homework Equations

H=-KA (ΔT/ΔX)
(conductive heat flow)

The Attempt at a Solution

Area: 6(a)^2= 6(.8)^2= 3.8m^2
Δx=.02m
K(st)=.02 w/m*K

H=-.02 w/m*K(3.8m^2) (ΔT/.02m)So I used the formula for the conductive heat flow, but I still have two unknowns. I know H is ΔQ/Δt, but I am asked for the time. I had two questions in regards to this problem:
1. for the area do I find the total surface area or just one side?
2. what temperature change ΔT should I set the ΔQ formula if I am assuming the ice is melting?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
physikx said:
So I used the formula for the conductive heat flow, but I still have two unknowns. I know H is ΔQ/Δt, but I am asked for the time. I had two questions in regards to this problem:
1. for the area do I find the total surface area or just one side?
2. what temperature change ΔT should I set the ΔQ formula if I am assuming the ice is melting?

Thanks for the help!

First of all, what do the symbols in the formula for the conductive heat flow mean?
Can you derive that formula?

ehild

ehild, thank you for your reply and I apologize for this far too late of response. I figured out the answer to this problem after grinding the problem for a while. I am done with my final for the first part of physics! I can not wait for the second part in a week :) Thanks again and talk to you soon.

physikx

Congratulation!:smile:

ehild

I would approach this problem by first clarifying some assumptions and variables. The problem states that the cooler is 80 cm on a side and 2.0 cm thick, but does not specify the material of the cooler. For this solution, I will assume that the cooler is made of styrofoam, as stated in the problem title. Additionally, the problem does not specify the initial temperature of the outside environment, so I will use "T" to represent the unknown outside temperature.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. For the area, you should use the total surface area of the cooler, which is 6(a)^2, as you have correctly calculated. This is because heat can flow through all six sides of the cooler.

2. For the temperature change, you can use the ΔT of 0°C to represent the ice melting. This is because the ice will remain at 0°C until it has completely melted.

Now, we can use the formula for conductive heat flow, H=-KA (ΔT/ΔX), to solve for the outside temperature (T):

ΔQ/Δt = -KA (ΔT/ΔX)
(2.0kg * 334 kJ/kg) / (4 hours * 3600 seconds/hour) = (-.02 W/m*K) * (3.8 m^2) * (0°C - T) / (0.02 m)
0.185 kJ/s = -0.76 (0°C - T)
T = 0.24°C

Therefore, the outside temperature is approximately 0.24°C. This means that the outside environment must be slightly above freezing for the ice to melt in four hours.

Related to Thermodynamics with styrofoam cooler

1. How does a styrofoam cooler keep things cold?

Styrofoam is a good insulator, meaning it does not allow heat to easily pass through it. When you place ice or cold items in a styrofoam cooler, the material prevents heat from entering the cooler and warming up the contents inside. This is known as thermal insulation.

2. Can a styrofoam cooler keep things warm as well?

Yes, styrofoam coolers can also keep things warm. Just like how it prevents heat from entering, it also prevents heat from escaping. This is why styrofoam is often used in packaging for hot food and drinks.

3. How does thermodynamics play a role in a styrofoam cooler?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and how it is transferred between objects. In the case of a styrofoam cooler, thermodynamics explains how heat is transferred from the environment to the cooler, and how the material of the cooler prevents that heat from affecting the contents inside.

4. Are there any limitations to using a styrofoam cooler for thermodynamics?

While styrofoam coolers are effective in keeping things cold or warm, they do have limitations. The material is not indestructible and can break or lose its insulating properties if damaged. Additionally, extreme temperatures can still affect the contents inside the cooler over time.

5. How can I maximize the thermodynamics efficiency of a styrofoam cooler?

To maximize the efficiency of a styrofoam cooler, it is important to keep it closed as much as possible to minimize heat transfer. Using ice packs or frozen water bottles can also help maintain a consistent temperature inside the cooler. Additionally, keeping the cooler in a cool, shaded area can also help prevent heat from entering.