Thermometers- calculate the centigrade temperature

• Thread starter Scarlet_pat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary: C...please correct me if that is what you are looking at...theta= (x at theta -(-50))/(+220-0))*100theta= (x at theta -(-50))/(+220-0))*100please correct me if that is what you are referring to...If you don't get it then i will tell you...but first try and understand...x at theta should be x at 100C-x at 0C
Scarlet_pat

Homework Statement

a constant volume gas thermometer was calibrated at the ice point and the steam point,. the thermometer was there used to measure the temperature of a beaker of hot water, the readings fro the height difference. h, between the mercury level in the closed limp and the open limp were - 50mm for ice point +220mm for steam point and +105 for the temperature of the hot water .

calculate the centigrade temperature of the hot water.

Homework Equations

attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

after applied all the data which was gave into the equation, 41.67 C, was the answer. what am i suppose to do after ? it is the right attempt in the first place?

Attachments

• 1244047277886 - Copy.jpg
    1244047277886 - Copy.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is right and i am getting 57.4 C

Abhishekdas said:
The formula is right and i am getting 57.4 C

first of all .. thank you :)!
is that the finally answer ? they are asking for centigrade temperature of the hot water...
what am i suppose to do ? the height / length of the hot water is +105 mm

you are welcome...
First tell me what you did...how did you get 41.67...them maybe i can start helping you...
Bye the way ya...my final answer is 57.4...ie temp of hot water...is it correct?

Abhishekdas said:
you are welcome...
First tell me what you did...how did you get 41.67...them maybe i can start helping you...
Bye the way ya...my final answer is 57.4...ie temp of hot water...is it correct?

thanks again
based on the formula..

-50 - 0 / 100 - 220 * 100 C = 0.4167 * 100 = 41.67 C
( -50 is ice point, + 220 is steam point)

and a specific length is given for " temp of hot water" which is +105mm
therefore i doubt that 57.4 c = temp of hot water while +105mm wasnt used.

Hold on...let me confirm what we want ...here we want the temperature of hot water in some scale where the ice point is -50 and steam point is 220 and the reading for the hot water is 105 right?

if that is what you are looking at i don't thin you have applied the formula correctly...

i have to be honestly with you, i;m currently working on some past paper, which my teacher didn't teach us anything about this topic. but dash the formula on the board. however, the question is " calculate the centigrate temperture of the hot water"
i do not have an idea of what I'm suppose to do. i was just tryingggg

Its okay...i will try to help you...
The question is not 100percent clear to me... the language...but these are the sort of standard questions where the give you the reading of the ice and the steam points and the reading at some other unknown temperature and they tell you to find the temperature...

let me explain the formula...

theta=((x at theta - x at 0)/(x at 100C - x at 0C))*100C...here x can be any physical quantity be it length of mercury column or whatever...now you substitute the required values of the physical quanties and you get your answer...

This is all i can explain here...If you understood good...or else your teacher has not taught you this right? if she teaches you and explains it you will get it...if you want it now you can refer to your textbook...if they have some explanation...

If you understood what i have told you then try and apply the formula right now...

i do understand the fact that x can be any physical quantity, and that is exactly why i inserted -50 and +220 into the formula.
theta = (( -50 - 0) - ( +220 - * what goes here* )) * 100 c

dont you think it should be
theta= (x at theta -(-50))/(+220-0))*100...

I have a surprise for you there is a mistake in what i have written above you have to find it out...i have made intentionally only one mistake(the rest is correct)...so try and understand where i am wrong and tell me...this will develop your thinking...

please realize where you have made your mistake too...if you say (-50 -0) in what sense are you writing it...tally your equation with what i told you...

If you don't get it i will tell you...but first understand...

(x at 100C - x at 0C) <---- it should be x at theta
right ?
theta= (x at theta -(-50))/(+220-0))*100

what is " x at theta " ?

Scarlet_pat said:
(x at 100C - x at 0C) <---- it should be x at theta
right ?

I did not get which part you are referring to...And what is my mistake?

Better quote my equation and point out my mistake...

Abhishekdas said:
theta=((x at theta - x at 0)/(x at 100C - x at 0C))*100C...

where x at 0 C should be x at theta instead...

wait...are you referring to post no 8? That is correct because i was teaching you the thing there...No mistake there...the mistake is in post 10...

wow i really don't see it -.-! sorry

Abhishekdas said:
theta=((x at theta -(-50))/(+220-0))*100...

It should be ((x at theta -(-50)/(+220-x at zero))*100...

x at theta= 105 and x at zero as you know is -50...Try and understand this...and if you put in the vaules you get 57.4...i guess...

it makes a lot sense now.. but the equation states taht
theta = (( x at theta - x at 0)/ ( x at 100C - x at theta)) * 100 C
instead of
theta=((x at theta - x at 0)/(x at 100C - x at 0C))*100C

and according to you ... ( assumption)
x at theta = + 105mm
therefore theta = (( 105-50)/ ( 220- 105 )) * 100 C
theta = 47.8 C

Related to Thermometers- calculate the centigrade temperature

1. How do thermometers work?

Thermometers work by measuring the change in volume of a liquid or gas in response to temperature changes. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the liquid or gas move faster, causing them to take up more space and expand. This expansion is then measured and converted into a temperature reading.

2. What is the difference between centigrade and Fahrenheit?

Centigrade and Fahrenheit are two different temperature scales. The centigrade scale, also known as Celsius, is based on the freezing and boiling points of water, with 0 degrees representing the freezing point and 100 degrees representing the boiling point. The Fahrenheit scale, on the other hand, is based on a system created by German physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, where 32 degrees represents the freezing point of water and 212 degrees represents the boiling point.

3. How do I convert centigrade to Fahrenheit?

To convert from centigrade to Fahrenheit, use the formula F = (C x 1.8) + 32, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in centigrade. For example, if the temperature is 20 degrees Celsius, the conversion would be (20 x 1.8) + 32 = 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Can I use a centigrade thermometer to measure Fahrenheit?

No, a centigrade thermometer is designed to measure temperatures in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Trying to use it to measure Fahrenheit temperatures would result in inaccurate readings.

5. How accurate are thermometers for measuring temperature?

The accuracy of a thermometer depends on various factors such as the type of thermometer, the quality of the materials used, and the calibration process. Generally, most thermometers have an accuracy of +/- 1 degree Celsius, but more precise thermometers can have an accuracy of +/- 0.1 degrees Celsius.