Theta(n^2) running time of Quicksort Algorithm

In summary: Can you tell us exactly what the case you are considering is?In particular how are the i's and j's behaving asymtotically as n becomes large?
ATroelstein
I am trying to prove the following scenario of Quicksort has a running time of Theta(n^2). Initially, we only have arrays of size n, where n = ij. The idea is that at every partition step of Quicksort, you end up with two sub-arrays where one is of size i and the other is of size i(j-1). i in this case is an integer constant greater than 0. I have drawn out the recursive tree of some examples and understand why this is a worst-case scenario and that the running time will be Theta(n^2). To prove this, I've used repeated substitution to solve the recurrence equation:

T(n) = T(ij) = m if j = 1, where m just denotes a constant
T(n) = T(ij) = T(i) + T(i(j-1)) + cn if j > 1

T(i) = m
T(2i) = m + m + c*2i = 2m + 2ci
T(3i) = m + 2m + 2ci + 3ci = 3m + 5ci

So it looks like the recurrence is:

$$T(n) = jm + (ci\sum_{k=1}^{j}k) - 1$$

At this point, I'm a bit lost as to what to do. It looks the summation at the end will result in j^2 if expanded out, but I need to show that it somehow equals n^2. Any explanation on how to continue with this would be appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
ATroelstein said:
I am trying to prove the following scenario of Quicksort has a running time of Theta(n^2). Initially, we only have arrays of size n, where n = ij. The idea is that at every partition step of Quicksort, you end up with two sub-arrays where one is of size i and the other is of size i(j-1). i in this case is an integer constant greater than 0. I have drawn out the recursive tree of some examples and understand why this is a worst-case scenario and that the running time will be Theta(n^2). To prove this, I've used repeated substitution to solve the recurrence equation:

T(n) = T(ij) = m if j = 1, where m just denotes a constant
T(n) = T(ij) = T(i) + T(i(j-1)) + cn if j > 1

T(i) = m
T(2i) = m + m + c*2i = 2m + 2ci
T(3i) = m + 2m + 2ci + 3ci = 3m + 5ci

So it looks like the recurrence is:

$$T(n) = jm + (ci\sum_{k=1}^{j}k) - 1$$

At this point, I'm a bit lost as to what to do. It looks the summation at the end will result in j^2 if expanded out, but I need to show that it somehow equals n^2. Any explanation on how to continue with this would be appreciated.

Why are you factorising \(n\)?

In the worst case the pivot splits the array of size \(n\) into arrays of size \(0\), and size \(n-1\). This spliting requires \(n-1\) compartisons, so:

\[T_{wc}(n)= k.(n-1)+T_{wc}(n-1)=k\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} n=k \frac{n.(n-1)}{2}=K(n^2-n)\]

which implies that \(T_{wx}\in \Theta(n^2)\)

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
Why are you factorising \(n\)?

In the worst case the pivot splits the array of size \(n\) into arrays of size \(0\), and size \(n-1\). This spliting requires \(n-1\) compartisons, so:

\[T_{wc}(n)= k.(n-1)+T_{wc}(n-1)=k\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} n=k \frac{n.(n-1)}{2}=K(n^2-n)\]

which implies that \(T_{wx}\in \Theta(n^2)\)

CB
Thank you for your reply CaptainBlack. I am factorizing n because the specific problem I am working on is trying to show that while the case you described is the absolute worst-case scenario, where you have a sub-arrays of size 0 and n-1, that the scenario I gave also has a running time of theta(n^2). I am able to find many examples of the scenario you gave in textbooks and online, but am unfortunately am unable to find any examples of the case that I have given above and that's why I've become so stuck at this point. Thanks.

ATroelstein said:
Thank you for your reply CaptainBlack. I am factorizing n because the specific problem I am working on is trying to show that while the case you described is the absolute worst-case scenario, where you have a sub-arrays of size 0 and n-1, that the scenario I gave also has a running time of theta(n^2). I am able to find many examples of the scenario you gave in textbooks and online, but am unfortunately am unable to find any examples of the case that I have given above and that's why I've become so stuck at this point. Thanks.

Can you tell us exactly what the case you are considering is?

In particular how are the i's and j's behaving asymtotically as n becomes large?

CB

Since i is an integer constant, its asymptotic behavior won't depend on n. The asymptotic behavior of j however will be increasing as n increases, since n = ij. To make my scenario a little more clear, we could look at the case where i = 1. This falls into my scenario and is just one step away from the worst case you described, as now we have sub-arrays of size 1 and n-2. The next case is my scenario would be where i = 2 and we have sub-arrays of 2 and n-3, and so on. So now I'm trying to show that no matter what the integer constant i is, the running time will still be theta(n^2) as j is becoming large as n becomes large, but i does not. Thank you.

ATroelstein said:
Since i is an integer constant, its asymptotic behavior won't depend on n. The asymptotic behavior of j however will be increasing as n increases, since n = ij. To make my scenario a little more clear, we could look at the case where i = 1. This falls into my scenario and is just one step away from the worst case you described, as now we have sub-arrays of size 1 and n-2. The next case is my scenario would be where i = 2 and we have sub-arrays of 2 and n-3, and so on. So now I'm trying to show that no matter what the integer constant i is, the running time will still be theta(n^2) as j is becoming large as n becomes large, but i does not. Thank you.

If you can show that:

\[T(ij)=\Theta(j^2)\]

you are done, since in this context \(i\) is a constant and so \(\Theta(j^2)=\Theta(i^2j^2)=\Theta(n^2) \)

CB

Related to Theta(n^2) running time of Quicksort Algorithm

1. What does "Theta(n^2) running time" mean in the context of Quicksort Algorithm?

"Theta(n^2) running time" refers to the time complexity of the Quicksort Algorithm, which is a measure of the amount of time it takes for the algorithm to execute based on the size of the input. In this case, the "n" represents the number of elements in the input, and the "^2" indicates that the running time will increase proportional to the square of the input size.

2. How does the input size affect the running time of Quicksort Algorithm with a Theta(n^2) complexity?

The running time of Quicksort Algorithm with a Theta(n^2) complexity will increase proportionally to the square of the input size. This means that as the input size increases, the running time will increase much faster. For example, if the input size is doubled, the running time will quadruple.

3. Is Theta(n^2) the best possible running time for Quicksort Algorithm?

No, Theta(n^2) is not the best possible running time for Quicksort Algorithm. There is a more efficient version of the algorithm, known as "Randomized Quicksort", which has an average case running time of Theta(n*log(n)), making it more efficient for larger inputs. However, in the worst-case scenario, both versions of the algorithm still have a running time of Theta(n^2).

4. What factors can affect the running time of Quicksort Algorithm with a Theta(n^2) complexity?

The main factor that affects the running time of Quicksort Algorithm with a Theta(n^2) complexity is the input size. However, the initial ordering of the elements in the input can also have an impact. If the input is already sorted or nearly sorted, the algorithm will take longer to execute compared to an input with a random order of elements.

5. Is it always necessary to use Quicksort Algorithm if the input size is large?

No, it is not always necessary to use Quicksort Algorithm if the input size is large. While Quicksort is efficient for most inputs, there are other sorting algorithms, such as Merge Sort or Heap Sort, that have a worst-case running time of Theta(n*log(n)) regardless of the input. Therefore, for very large inputs, these algorithms may be a better choice even though they may have a higher overhead.