Thevenin and Notron Equivalen sources, external to load

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the power dissipated by RL and finding new values for RL that will receive maximum power. It also mentions using nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and superposition to simplify circuits and the use of Thevenin and Norton equivalency to solve circuits with unknown values. The conversation also provides a link for further guidance and steps on how to use Thevenin and Norton equivalency.
mattsaindon

Homework Statement

Solve power dissipated by RL
Find a new values for RL that will receive maximum power
solve for the maximum power that can be delivered

Homework Equations

Nodal analysis
mesh analysis
superpostion
etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello guys, I've beein looking around on the internet for some time now on how to set up and use Thevenin and Norton equvenalcy, not having such luck, i get puzzled how to simply a circuit with an unknown using either nodal analysis or rmesh, mesh is giving me troubles because it requires the resistance values to be know (so i think) i can use Thevenin and Norton with all the known values but as soon as the "load" resistance is unknown and its asking me to solve i am clueless..
looking for a little guiidance, if any of you know of a good website or how to go about this let me know. thanks in advance
matt

**the firstdoc in my work
second is the base question...

Attachments

• SCAN0002.jpg
    SCAN0002.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 360
  • SCAN0003.jpg
    SCAN0003.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an introductory circuit analysis textbook? It would most definitely be in there.
Here's a link that describes the process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thévenin's_theorem

Take the resistor you are wanting to analyze out of the circuit (ie. replace the element RL with an open circuit).
Find the total resistance of that circuit between the terminals of the open circuit. You can short voltage sources, and you can replace current sources with an open circuit. This total resistance will be your Thevenin resistance.
Next, find the voltage across the terminals of the open circuit where the load resistor was in the original circuit. This total value will be your Thevenin equivalent voltage.

Related to Thevenin and Notron Equivalen sources, external to load

What is Thevenin Equivalent Source?

Thevenin Equivalent Source is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit. It is a voltage source in series with a resistor, which can replace a portion of a circuit without changing the external behavior of the circuit.

What is Norton Equivalent Source?

Norton Equivalent Source is another simplified representation of an electrical circuit. It is a current source in parallel with a resistor, which can also replace a portion of a circuit without changing the external behavior of the circuit.

What is the purpose of using Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Sources?

Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Sources are used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. They allow for the replacement of a portion of a circuit with a single source, making calculations and simulations more manageable.

How do you calculate the Thevenin Equivalent Source?

The Thevenin Equivalent Source can be calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the circuit. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage measured across the load when it is disconnected from the circuit, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance seen from the load terminals.

How do you calculate the Norton Equivalent Source?

The Norton Equivalent Source can be calculated by finding the short-circuit current and the equivalent resistance of the circuit. The short-circuit current is the current measured when the load terminals are shorted together, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance seen from the load terminals.