Thevenin circuit Max power across Load resistor

In summary, the power dissipated by the load resistor is I2RL. The maximum power occurs when RL = Rth.
EricSomin

Homework Statement

One Thevenin theorem result is that the maximum power across the load resistor in the equivalent circuit (and therefore the real circuit) occurs when RL = Rth. Start with the result that the power dissipated by the load resistor is I2RL and prove this result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have really no idea where to begin with this question. I do understand what a Thevenin circuit is, and where i would place a load resistor. I am just looking for some direction as to where to start, or for someone to point me towards what i should be thinking about and working with to get towards an answer.

any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
EricSomin said:

Homework Statement

One Thevenin theorem result is that the maximum power across the load resistor in the equivalent circuit (and therefore the real circuit) occurs when RL = Rth. Start with the result that the power dissipated by the load resistor is I2RL and prove this result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have really no idea where to begin with this question. I do understand what a Thevenin circuit is, and where i would place a load resistor. I am just looking for some direction as to where to start, or for someone to point me towards what i should be thinking about and working with to get towards an answer.

any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Draw the circuit. Obtain an expression for the power in the load in terms of the given components, yielding the power as a function of RL: P(RL) = ...

Find the maximum w.r.t. RL.

I think I've figured it out. I can solve for I, input that into

P=I2RL

Since I am trying to max. power dissipated by RL i can take the first derivative and set it equal to zero.

does this sound incorrect to anyone?

EricSomin said:
I think I've figured it out. I can solve for I, input that into

P=I2RL

Since I am trying to max. power dissipated by RL i can take the first derivative and set it equal to zero.

does this sound incorrect to anyone?

Nope. Sounds like a good plan.

Thank you for your question. This is a common misconception about Thevenin's theorem and the maximum power transfer theorem. The Thevenin equivalent circuit does not determine the maximum power across the load resistor; rather, it is the maximum power transfer theorem that determines this value.

To begin, let's review the Thevenin theorem. It states that any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a resistor. This equivalent circuit will produce the same voltage and current at the load as the original circuit.

Next, let's look at the maximum power transfer theorem. It states that the maximum power will be transferred from a source to a load when the source impedance is equal to the load impedance. In other words, the load resistor will dissipate the most power when its resistance is equal to the Thevenin resistance of the circuit.

Now, let's prove that the power dissipated by the load resistor is I^2RL. We know that the voltage across the load resistor is Vth (from Thevenin's theorem) and the current through the load resistor is I = Vth/(Rth + RL) (from Ohm's law). Therefore, the power dissipated by the load resistor is:

P = I^2RL = (Vth/(Rth+RL))^2 * RL

To find the maximum power, we can take the derivative with respect to RL and set it equal to 0:

dP/dRL = (Vth/(Rth+RL))^2 - 2Vth/(Rth+RL)^3 * RL = 0

Solving for RL, we get RL = Rth. Therefore, the maximum power is transferred when RL = Rth.

In conclusion, the Thevenin equivalent circuit does not determine the maximum power across the load resistor. It is the maximum power transfer theorem that determines this value, and it is equal to I^2RL.

Related to Thevenin circuit Max power across Load resistor

1. What is a Thevenin circuit?

A Thevenin circuit is a type of electrical circuit that simplifies a complex network into a single voltage source and a single resistor. This simplified circuit can be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit.

2. How is the Thevenin voltage determined?

The Thevenin voltage is determined by finding the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the circuit. This is done by removing the load resistor and measuring the voltage across the output terminals.

3. What is the purpose of finding the maximum power across the load resistor in a Thevenin circuit?

The maximum power across the load resistor is important because it represents the maximum amount of power that can be transferred from the circuit to the load. This information is useful for designing and optimizing circuit performance.

4. How is the maximum power across the load resistor calculated in a Thevenin circuit?

The maximum power across the load resistor can be calculated using the Thevenin equivalent circuit. First, the Thevenin resistance is calculated by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit when the voltage source is short-circuited. Then, the maximum power is determined using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the Thevenin voltage and R is the Thevenin resistance.

5. What are the limitations of using a Thevenin circuit to analyze circuit behavior?

A Thevenin circuit assumes that the behavior of the original circuit is linear, which may not always be the case. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady-state, meaning that all transient effects have been eliminated. Additionally, a Thevenin circuit is only valid for DC circuits and may not accurately represent the behavior of AC circuits.