Thevenin Eq: Find Vth & Isc @ a,b

In summary: When you suppress the power supplies, you don't need to find the short circuit current, you can just evaluate Rth from the mesh currents for the mesh formed by the remaining resistors (the 20Ω and the 10Ω in your figure).In summary, the Thevenin equivalent circuit can be found by calculating the open-circuit voltage and the short-circuit current. There are two methods for finding the Thevenin resistance, one involving the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current, and the other involving rearranging the circuit by suppressing voltage sources and removing redundant components. Both methods will yield the same value for Rth. It is important to carefully consider the effects of suppressing voltage sources
orangeincup
1. Homework Statement
Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit with respect to terminals a, b by finding open-circuit voltage and the short-circuit current.

2. Homework Equations
i1+i2+i3..=0
v1+v2+v3..=0
i=v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to shove this on my own for practice, but when I looked at the solution I don't understand something. When they're calculating Vth, why did they completely ignore v1 and one side of the equation?

Also, when they calculate...
(v2-9)/8 + v2/10, why is it v2/70 in the first equation, and v2/10 in the second? I know one is open and one is short circuited, but why is the 60 being ignored?

Attachments

• vth.png
    vth.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
When you do a Th equivalent to get the Rth, what do you with voltages sources and what do you do with current sources? Did you do that in this circuit? Have you looked hard at the redrawn circuit?

Likes 1 person
I was told you pretend the voltage sources aren't part of the circuit to find Rth. For Vth I believe you have it set as an "open circuit" but I'm not sure how that changes the drawing. Do I take out the 60ohm resistor when it's open?

orangeincup said:
1. Homework Statement
Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit with respect to terminals a, b by finding open-circuit voltage and the short-circuit current.

2. Homework Equations
i1+i2+i3..=0
v1+v2+v3..=0
i=v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to shove this on my own for practice, but when I looked at the solution I don't understand something. When they're calculating Vth, why did they completely ignore v1 and one side of the equation?
The current source between nodes v1 and v2 fixes the current in that branch regardless of what v1 and v2 happen to be. This is made apparent when they write the node equation for v2 and v1 does not appear in it, rendering an equation in one unknown only (v2). So a node equation for v1 is not required for finding Vth!

(v2-9)/8 + v2/10, why is it v2/70 in the first equation, and v2/10 in the second? I know one is open and one is short circuited, but why is the 60 being ignored?

Shorting the output shorts out the 60Ω resistor. (What's the equivalent resistance of a 60Ω resistor in parallel with a 0Ω resistor?)

orangeincup said:
1. Homework Statement
Yes that is one method. There is also a quite different-looking method, so don't confuse the two.

Is that a short-circuit I see across the 60Ω resistor?

Seeing that you need practice, why don't you solve this two different ways, and see whether you get the same answer?

Perhaps you should explain here, in words, what is involved in each of those separate methods, so you have it clear in your mind?

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Yes that is one method. There is also a quite different-looking method, so don't confuse the two.

Is that a short-circuit I see across the 60Ω resistor?

Seeing that you need practice, why don't you solve this two different ways, and see whether you get the same answer?

Perhaps you should explain here, in words, what is involved in each of those separate methods, so you have it clear in your mind?

Is one method finding the open source voltage to find V, then calculating the short circuit current to find i, and solving Rth from that?

Is the other method shorting out the voltage, and opening the current sources, to calculate Rth based off adding resistances?

orangeincup said:
Is one method finding the open source voltage to find V, then calculating the short circuit current to find i, and solving Rth from that?

Is the other method shorting out the voltage, and opening the current sources, to calculate Rth based off adding resistances?
That sounds right.

I calculated it the first way correctly.

When I tried to calculate it the second way, I had trouble knowing which resistors are in parallel or series.

I redrew the circuit below.

Is 5+25, 10+60, both zero since they are parallel with a 0 resistor? So would Rth be 20?

No circuit is attached.

Rth is not 20Ω.

orangeincup said:
I calculated it the first way correctly.

When I tried to calculate it the second way, I had trouble knowing which resistors are in parallel or series.

I redrew the circuit below.

Is 5+25, 10+60, both zero since they are parallel with a 0 resistor? So would Rth be 20?
The 5+25 pair is shorted by the suppressed voltage source, but the 10Ω and 60Ω resistors are not. They are not in series, either! Look more carefully at the circuit when the supplies are suppressed. When you redraw the circuit you should remove any components made redundant (say by having been shorted by a suppressed voltage source), and feel free to rearrange the layout of the other components on the paper to make the connections clear.

NascentOxygen said:
No circuit is attached.

Rth is not 20Ω.

Hmm. Looks like 20Ω to me...

NascentOxygen said:
Rth is not 20Ω.

gneill said:
Hmm. Looks like 20Ω to me...

Let me rephrase that ... :wink:

Rth is not the 20Ω resistor you see in the circuit.

But it is true that Rth evaluates to 20Ω, the same value as using the first method.

Is (20Ω+10Ω)||60Ω=Rth correct?

Is the 5 and 25 resistors canceled out because they no longer have a voltage?

Attachments

• redrth.png
    redrth.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 422
orangeincup said:
Is (20Ω+10Ω)||60Ω=Rth correct?

Is the 5 and 25 resistors canceled out because they no longer have a voltage?

Correct. They are shorted by the suppressed voltage source.

In your figure, if it's meant to show the analysis of Rth, you shouldn't include the short across the output terminals; That's for determining the short circuit current when any power supplies are still active.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Correct. They are shorted by the suppressed voltage source.

Well, not quite ... ONE END is but you can't just leave it at that. It matters a great deal that the other ends have been left open by the removal of the current source, thus removing them from the circuit. This is what I was talking about in post #2

orangeincup, "cancelled out" is not a good way to look at it, I think. Had they been completely short-circuited, then perhaps it would be a reasonable description but "cancelled out" doesn't seem to imply that you realize that they have been removed from the circuit by having one end disconnected.

Related to Thevenin Eq: Find Vth & Isc @ a,b

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistor connected in series. This simplifies the analysis of complex circuits and allows for easier calculation of voltage and current at different points.

2. How do you find the Thevenin voltage (Vth)?

To find the Thevenin voltage, you need to first disconnect all sources from the original circuit and then calculate the voltage at the two terminals where the load will be connected. This voltage is the Thevenin voltage (Vth) and is equal to the open-circuit voltage of the original circuit.

3. How do you find the Thevenin resistance (Rth)?

To find the Thevenin resistance, you need to remove all sources from the original circuit and calculate the equivalent resistance between the two terminals where the load will be connected. This resistance is the Thevenin resistance (Rth) and is equal to the total resistance of the original circuit when all sources are turned off.

4. What is the short-circuit current (Isc) in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The short-circuit current (Isc) in a Thevenin equivalent circuit is the current that flows when the load is replaced with a short circuit. It is equal to the Thevenin voltage (Vth) divided by the Thevenin resistance (Rth). This current is used to calculate the maximum current that can flow through the circuit.

5. What is the significance of finding Vth and Isc in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The values of Vth and Isc in a Thevenin equivalent circuit are important as they allow for the analysis of complex circuits to be simplified. These values are used to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load, as well as the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. They also allow for the easy calculation of equivalent circuits, making circuit analysis more efficient.