Thevenin Equivalent & Available Power?

In summary, The conversation discusses setting up equations for a circuit with node voltage, using Thevenin/Norton models to determine the circuit's voltage and resistance, and injecting current to measure the voltage at the output. The possibility of a Thévenin voltage of zero is also mentioned.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 3.19.22 PM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
Node Voltage
Thev/Nort

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up my equations in the picture below, but I'm kinda confused about the Vx's in the equations. First, did I set these up correctly? If so, solving them I get that V2=0 which would mean my Voc is 0V which means Vthev=0. Is that even possible? Am I doing something wrong here?

New Doc 26.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That rectangle labelled -Vx, what is it?

NascentOxygen said:
That rectangle labelled -Vx, what is it?
What? That's a dependent current source.

A Thévenin voltage of zero is okay. This still leaves you trying to determine Rth. There is not much use pretending to short-circuit the output to measure current—because regardless of the Thévenin resistance, that current is going to be zero because its voltage source is zero.

An equally-valid approach is to inject current into your circuit's outputand measure/calculate the voltage this causes at the output. You can then use this data in conjunction with the Thévenin model to calculate Rth.

⏩ So draw an independent current source adding a current Iin at terminal a and determine Vab.

it's a linear circuit model, so on paper you can do whatever you wish to it

Related to Thevenin Equivalent & Available Power?

What is Thevenin Equivalent?

The Thevenin Equivalent is a method used to simplify a complex electrical circuit into a single voltage source and series resistor. This simplification allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters, such as voltage, current, and power.

How is Thevenin Equivalent calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent is calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of a circuit. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage measured across the output terminals when the load is disconnected, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance measured across the output terminals when all voltage sources are replaced by their internal resistances.

What is Available Power in Thevenin Equivalent?

Available Power, also known as Maximum Power Transfer, is the maximum amount of power that can be delivered to a load connected to the Thevenin Equivalent circuit. This occurs when the load resistance is equal to the Thevenin Equivalent resistance.

How do I calculate Available Power in Thevenin Equivalent?

To calculate Available Power, you need to first find the Thevenin Equivalent resistance and Thevenin Equivalent voltage. Then, use the formula P = (Vth^2 / 4Rth) to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to the load.

Why is Thevenin Equivalent important in circuit analysis?

Thevenin Equivalent is important in circuit analysis because it simplifies complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and calculate circuit parameters. It also allows for more efficient design of circuits, as it helps determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load. Additionally, Thevenin Equivalent is used in many electronic devices, such as amplifiers and sensors.