Thevenin Equivalent: Calculate Eth & Rth

In summary, the speaker needs to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit for a given circuit and has calculated the values for Eth and Rth. However, they are unsure if their answer is correct due to not having studied Thevenin for a long time. The other person suggests using a template and providing their work to confirm the answer. They also suggest using Google or Wikipedia for further clarification.
mectarek
I need the thevenin equivalent to this circuit, I've calculated Eth and Rth but i don't think my answer is correct

Attachments

• 2014-06-18 00.41.36.jpg
    2014-06-18 00.41.36.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mec, please use the template to show us what expressions / equations you have available to deal with this exercise. And show us your work. Eth, Rth. And why you think your answer is not right.
In short: use the template

Likes 1 person
1. Homework Statement
Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit at terminals (a,b) of the circuit:

2. Homework Equations

Eth= E
Rth= (R4+R5)//R3 +R1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
so Eth=2v and Rth= 3.66 ohm

the reason why I think the answer is not correct is that i have not studied Thevenin for a long time :)

Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com

It would help if your drawing were readable, but it appears that your analysis of the resistive network makes no sense at all. I can't be positive of that because I can't really read the diagram.

Start with Eth. Assume Rc is infinite and calculate the voltage over Rc.
Continue with Rc = 0. Assume Rc is zero and calculate the current through Rc.

[edit] Oh, and if studying something is a problem, sometimes Googling is enough nowadays. The Wiki thing is crystal clear,,,

Related to Thevenin Equivalent: Calculate Eth & Rth

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem and why is it useful?

Thevenin's Theorem is a basic principle in electrical circuit analysis that allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and resistance. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit. It is useful because it can save time and effort in solving complex circuits, and it also helps in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

2. What is the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a single voltage source and a single resistance. It has the same voltage-current characteristics as the original circuit, making it easier to analyze and understand.

3. How do you calculate the Thevenin voltage (Eth) and resistance (Rth)?

To calculate the Thevenin voltage, you need to find the open-circuit voltage (Voc) of the original circuit. This can be done by removing the load and measuring the voltage across its terminals. To calculate the Thevenin resistance, you need to find the equivalent resistance (Req) of the original circuit. This can be done by replacing all voltage sources with a short circuit and all current sources with an open circuit, and then finding the resistance across the load terminals.

4. Can Thevenin's Theorem be applied to any circuit?

Thevenin's Theorem can be applied to linear circuits, which are circuits that have linear voltage and current characteristics. It cannot be applied to circuits that contain non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.

5. How can Thevenin's Theorem be verified in a circuit?

Thevenin's Theorem can be verified by comparing the voltage and current characteristics of the original circuit with that of the Thevenin equivalent circuit. This can be done by applying a load to both circuits and measuring the voltage and current across the load. If the values match, then Thevenin's Theorem has been successfully applied.