Thevenin Equivalent Finding Isc

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of short circuits and how they affect voltage and resistance in a circuit. The short circuit in Figure 2 results in a net resistance of 0 ohms, causing the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor to drop to 0. This can be explained by Ohm's Law and the concept of combining resistances in parallel.
jdawg
Warning: Missing problem statement

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've found Vout, but I'm a little confused about finding ISC. The solution to my homework says that in Figure 2 the 10 ohm resistor gets by passed due to the short across the open voltage. Why does this happen? Thanks!

Attachments

• scan0001 (2).pdf
    263.3 KB · Views: 242
Physics news on Phys.org
When the short is applied what happens to the voltage across the 10R?

Does it go to zero? Why does that happen?

Likes CWatters
jdawg said:
Does it go to zero? Why does that happen?
I think you need to do a little investigation of Ohm's Law and combining resistances in parallel.

The short circuit is a zero Ohm resistance placed across the terminals. In this case it places the equivalent of a zero Ohm resistor in parallel with the 10 Ohm resistance. What's the net resistance of 10 Ohms in parallel with zero Ohms?

What does Ohm's Law say about the potential drop across that net resistance when some current ##I## flows through it?

Likes CWatters

FAQ: Thevenin Equivalent Finding Isc

1. What is the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to model the behavior of a circuit for a specific load, making it easier to analyze and design.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to determine the Thevenin voltage and the Thevenin resistance. The Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage at the output terminals, and the Thevenin resistance is the equivalent resistance seen from the output terminals when all independent sources are turned off.

3. What is Isc in relation to Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Isc stands for short-circuit current, which is the maximum current that can flow through the Thevenin equivalent circuit when the output terminals are shorted. It is an important parameter in determining the maximum power that can be delivered by the circuit.

4. How do you determine Isc in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To determine Isc, you can use the Thevenin resistance and the Thevenin voltage. Isc is equal to the Thevenin voltage divided by the Thevenin resistance. Alternatively, you can also find Isc by shorting the output terminals of the Thevenin equivalent circuit and measuring the current.

5. Why is finding Isc important in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Finding Isc is important because it provides information about the maximum current that can be drawn from the circuit. This is useful for designing and analyzing the circuit, as it allows you to determine the maximum power that can be delivered and the stability of the circuit under different load conditions.