Thevenin Equivalent Resistance for a Black Box

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance for a black box used in a circuits experiment. They have measured the Thevenin equivalent resistance to be approximately 4786\Omega, but have been unable to arrive at a theoretical value, consistently getting a value of around 3511\Omega. They have attached the circuit schematic and have attempted to solve the problem using various equations and transformations, but have not been successful. They are asking for help and guidance in finishing the problem.
jmcmillian

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance for a black box that I used in a circuits experiment. The measured Thevenin equivalent resistance was roughly 4786[tex]\Omega[/tex], so the theoretical should be somewhere around that. However, I have tried several times to solve the problem, but keep arriving at a value of around 3511[tex]\Omega[/tex]. That just seems to be a little too low...

I have attached the circuit schematic, with resistor values included.
Could someone please look at the problem and see if I am on the right track. If so, any pointers on how I should finish it?

Homework Equations

R[tex]_{Th}[/tex]= V[tex]_{Th}[/tex]/I[tex]_{sc}[/tex]
Resistors in Parallel: R[tex]_{eq}[/tex]= (1/R[tex]_{1}[/tex]+...+1/R[tex]_{n}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
Resistors in Series: R[tex]_{eq}[/tex]=R[tex]_{1}[/tex]+...+R[tex]_{n}[/tex]
Y to Delta Transformation:

The Attempt at a Solution

STEP ONE: R2, R3 in parallel
R23 = [(1/R2)+(1/R3)]^-1 = [(1/9.97k[tex]\Omega[/tex])+(1/1.001k[tex]\Omega[/tex])]^-1 = .9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP TWO: R23 IN SERIES WITH R5
R235 = R23 + R5 = .9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 10.0k[tex]\Omega[/tex] = 10.9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP THREE: Y TO [tex]\Delta[/tex] TRANSFORM R4, R6, R7
Rc = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R4 = 24.95k[tex]\Omega[/tex]
Ra = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R6 = 24.85k[tex]\Omega[/tex]
Rb = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R7 = 12.39k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP FOUR: Rc PARALLEL to R235
[(1/24.95k[tex]\Omega[/tex] )+(1/10.9096[tex]\Omega[/tex] )]^-1 = 7.59k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

From here, I have tried different combinations of source transformations, converting the delta back to a Y, etc. to try and get an equivalent resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I keep arriving at a value of around 3511\Omega which just seems too low. Any help would be much appreciated!

However, I keep arriving at a value lower than the measured Thevenin equivalent resistance of 4786\Omega. Any suggestions?

I understand your frustration in trying to find the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance for your black box. It is important to note that theoretical calculations may not always match up exactly with experimental measurements due to various factors such as measurement errors and component tolerances. It is also possible that there may be other components or circuit elements present in the black box that are affecting the overall resistance.

That being said, your approach seems to be correct in breaking down the circuit into simpler components and using the appropriate equations for resistors in parallel and series. One suggestion I have is to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. Additionally, you may want to consider using a different method for solving the circuit, such as using Kirchhoff's laws or nodal analysis, to see if you arrive at a different result.

Overall, it is important to keep in mind that the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance is just an approximation and may not match up exactly with the measured value. As long as your calculations and approach are correct, the slight discrepancy may be due to experimental factors. I would also recommend discussing your results with your instructor or peers to see if they have any insights or suggestions. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!

Related to Thevenin Equivalent Resistance for a Black Box

1. What is "Thevenin Equivalent Resistance" for a Black Box?

"Thevenin Equivalent Resistance" refers to a simplified circuit model used to represent the resistance of a complex circuit or system. It assumes that the circuit can be reduced to a single voltage source and a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent Resistance is calculated by first determining the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the black box. Then, the output terminals are shorted and the resulting current is measured. The Thevenin Equivalent Resistance is equal to the ratio of the open-circuit voltage to the short-circuit current.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance for a Black Box?

Finding the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance allows for a complex circuit to be simplified and analyzed using basic circuit laws and principles. This makes it easier to understand and troubleshoot any issues that may arise in the circuit.

4. Can the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance be used to replace the original circuit?

No, the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance is only a simplified model of the original circuit. It is useful for analysis and troubleshooting, but it cannot replace the original circuit and its components.

5. Can the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance change over time?

Yes, the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance can change over time if there are any changes made to the original circuit or if the components within the circuit degrade or fail. It is important to recalculate the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance if there are any significant changes to the circuit.