Thevenin Voltage and Resistance Calculation for Circuit with Current Sources

In summary, to find the Thevenin voltage and resistance of a circuit, you can set all sources to 0 and replace current sources with open circuits.
Yaaaldi

Homework Statement

Find the thevenin voltage and thevening resistance of the circuit.

[PLAIN]http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/2525/thevening.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The posted answers for the question are 5v and 1k ohm. But I can't see how the thevenin resistance is 1k ohm. Can anyone explain? I see the 5 and 1 being in parallel giving 5/6 k ohm.

edit: think I figured it out as I posted it. current sources get replaced by open circuit to calculate thevenin resistance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. You set sources to 0, so a current source would be replaced by an open circuit since no current flows through it.

FAQ: Thevenin Voltage and Resistance Calculation for Circuit with Current Sources

What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a single voltage source and a single resistance. It is used to simplify circuit analysis and calculate the behavior of a circuit at a specific load.

How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is calculated by removing the load resistor from the original circuit and determining the open circuit voltage (VOC) and the equivalent resistance (REQ) seen from the load. The Thevenin voltage (VTH) is equal to the open circuit voltage, and the Thevenin resistance (RTH) is equal to the equivalent resistance.

What is the purpose of using a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The purpose of using a Thevenin equivalent circuit is to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It also allows for quick calculation of voltage and current values at different loads without having to redraw the entire circuit.

Under what conditions can a circuit be represented by a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A circuit can be represented by a Thevenin equivalent circuit if it is a linear circuit, meaning that the current-voltage relationship is constant. It also requires the circuit to be in steady state, meaning that the circuit has reached a stable condition and is not changing over time.

Can a Thevenin equivalent circuit be used for any type of circuit?

No, a Thevenin equivalent circuit is only applicable to linear circuits. It cannot be used for circuits that contain non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors, or circuits that are not in steady state.

Back