Thevenin's Circuits: Understanding & Examples

• Engineering
  • Thread starter feely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, The person is asking for resources to understand Thevenin's theorem and mentions their homework, which involves a circuit with 5 resistors, a voltage source, and a current source. They prefer to figure it out themselves but are open to helpful resources like notes, textbooks, and Wikipedia.
feely
Hello.

I posted here but I am not posting my actual homework question, but it is connected to my homework...

..so, does anyone know of anywhere on the internet that gives a good detail read through of Thevenin's theorem, maybe giving a few examples. I did a google search and found some stuff, but it is generally examples of circuits containing maybe 2 resistors in series and a voltage source, which is pretty easy to work out.

My homework is asking me to get the Thevenin's circuit for a circuit containing 5 resistors, a voltage source and a current source, and I would rather try and figure this out myself, rather than someone here giving me the answer. I have been making an attempt and think I am on the right lines, but you never know :)

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Sean,

It's great to see that you are taking the initiative to understand Thevenin's theorem on your own. This is an important concept in circuit analysis and it's important to have a good understanding of it.

I would recommend checking out websites such as Khan Academy or All About Circuits for detailed explanations and examples of Thevenin's circuits. These websites provide step-by-step explanations and also have interactive tools to help you visualize the concept.

In terms of your specific homework question, I would suggest breaking down the circuit into smaller parts and applying Thevenin's theorem to each part separately. This will make it easier to understand and solve the overall circuit.

Good luck with your homework! Keep up the good work in seeking out additional resources to deepen your understanding of Thevenin's circuits.

I can understand your desire to figure out the Thevenin's circuit for yourself rather than just being given the answer. Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis that allows us to simplify complex circuits into a simpler equivalent circuit. This is particularly useful in analyzing circuits with multiple resistors and sources, such as the one you mentioned in your homework question.

To help you understand Thevenin's theorem better, I would suggest looking for resources that provide a step-by-step explanation of the theorem using various examples, rather than just giving a few basic examples. You can also try looking for tutorials or videos on Thevenin's theorem, as visual aids can often be helpful in understanding complex concepts.

Additionally, I would recommend practicing with different types of circuits and sources to get a better grasp of the theorem. This will also help you build your problem-solving skills, which are crucial in the field of science.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember, don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck on a particular step or concept. Science is all about collaboration and learning from each other.

Related to Thevenin's Circuits: Understanding & Examples

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis that states that any linear circuit can be represented by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source in series with a single resistor.

2. How do you determine the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To determine the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to follow three steps: 1) remove the load resistor from the original circuit, 2) calculate the open-circuit voltage across the load resistor terminals, and 3) calculate the equivalent resistance seen from the load resistor terminals using the original circuit. The equivalent circuit will consist of a voltage source with the calculated open-circuit voltage and a resistor with the calculated equivalent resistance.

3. What is the purpose of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem simplifies the analysis of complex circuits by reducing them to a simpler equivalent circuit. This allows for easier calculations of voltage, current, and power, making it a valuable tool in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to nonlinear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem only applies to linear circuits, which means the current-voltage relationship in the circuit components must follow Ohm's law. Nonlinear elements such as diodes or transistors cannot be represented by a single voltage source and resistor and therefore cannot be analyzed using Thevenin's theorem.

5. What are some real-world applications of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is commonly used in electronic circuit design, power distribution systems, and telecommunications networks. It is also used in analyzing the performance of amplifiers and filters, as well as in solving problems in electric power systems.