Thin disc above grounded plane

In summary, the potential energy of a thin disk of uniformly distributed charge is calculated using the method of images and the charge is turned into a disc.
ducks

Homework Statement

A thin disk of radius R consists of a uniformly distributed total charge Q. The disk lies a distance D above a grounded perfectly conducting plane. The disk and the plane are parallel. Set the conducting plane in the x-y axis, and the z axis through the center of the disk.
R=0.1 m, the distance D = 2R = 0.2 m, and the charge Q=1/(9E9) Coulomb

Compute the potential along the axis through the center of the charged disk

Homework Equations

If it was a single point charge:
V(x,y,z) = 1/4*∏*[itex]\epsilon * [ q/ \sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-d)^2} - q/ \sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+d)^2}[/itex] ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I would solve this using the method of images with an imaginary disc of -q charge below the conducting plane. Would this be the same for the thin disc? With the given value turning it into this?

[itex][ 1/ \sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-d)^2} - 1/ \sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+d)^2}[/itex] ]

My second problem is to to calculate numerically the potential everywhere in space above the conducting plane. Could I get any hints as to how to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ducks said:
I have a feeling I would solve this using the method of images with an imaginary disc of -q charge below the conducting plane.
That does seem like the way to go. Just keep in mind that the charge is a disc, not a point, so you can't just use the point charge formula unaltered. You'll have to do an integral.

I would run a Gaussian surface, a right circular cylinder, with one flat surface located within the disk (and parallel to it) to a plane a distance r between the disk and the ground plane, compute E(r), integrate E(r) from the disk to the ground plane, with the constant of integration such that V(D-r) = 0.

You can also do it by the image method, you'd get the same result. Since you would not extend the Gaussian variable surface beyond r = D there would be no difference in the equations.

I figured out the z axis part since it forms a right triangle. I can't wrap my head around how I would measure the potential at a point not on the z axis.

I didn't see that part of the problem. That's a lot more difficult all right.

I would go with V(r) = k∫σ*dA/r integrated over disk surface A
r = distance from element of charge σ*dA
k = 9e9 SI
σ = surface charge density = constant thruout disk = Q/πR^2
A = disk area

But you've probably figured that far already.
r = distance from point (x0, y0) on disk defined by surface (x^2 + y^2 = R^2, D)
to arbitrary poit (x,y,z).

Just a math problem ... :-)

Last edited:

FAQ: Thin disc above grounded plane

1. What is a thin disc above grounded plane?

A thin disc above grounded plane refers to a flat circular object that is suspended vertically above a horizontal surface, such as the ground or a tabletop. It is often used as a simplified model in physics and engineering to study the behavior of objects in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is the behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane studied?

The behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane can be studied by using mathematical equations and models, as well as through experiments and simulations. This allows scientists to understand how different variables, such as the disc's size, material, and distance from the ground, affect its behavior and interactions with the grounded plane.

3. What are some real-world applications of studying thin disc above grounded plane?

Studying thin disc above grounded plane has many real-world applications in fields such as aviation, robotics, and structural engineering. For example, understanding the aerodynamics of a flying disc can help in the design of aircraft wings, while studying the stability of a disc on a flat surface can inform the development of self-balancing robots.

4. What are the key factors that affect the behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane?

The behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane is influenced by several key factors, including its mass, shape, size, material, and the distance between the disc and the ground. These factors can affect the disc's stability, motion, and interactions with the grounded plane.

5. How does the behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane differ from other objects?

The behavior of a thin disc above grounded plane can differ from other objects due to its unique shape and orientation. Unlike a sphere or a cube, which have symmetrical shapes, a disc has an asymmetrical shape, making its behavior more complex and challenging to study. Additionally, its vertical orientation can also affect its interactions with the grounded plane compared to objects that are placed horizontally.

Back