Thin-Film Interference: Coating a Lens - Answers found, explanation needed

In summary: I have checked my notes and got it the wrong way round!In summary, thin-film interference can be explained with equations that take into account wavelength, refractive index, and fringe count. The equations for constructive and destructive interference are different, depending on whether the interference is maximum or minimum reflection.
FishStik
Thin-Film Interference: Coating a Lens -- Answers found, explanation needed!

Homework Statement

YZm3a.png

Boxed answers are the correct ones.

Homework Equations

2L=(m+1/2)(λ/n) for constructive interference (maximum reflection, bright film)
2L=(m)(λ/n) for destructive interference (minimum reflection, dark film)

Where:
L = thickness of film
m = fringe count (for m=0,1,2,3,4...)
λ = wavelength of light
n = refractive index of coating

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer (a) for Fall2008 #20 by using the equation for constructive interference, plugging in 0 for m, 1000 nm for λ, and 1.8 for n.
Now for Sp2011 #11, I took it as essentially the same question except this one is asking for minimum reflection, so I should use the equation for destructive interference. Doing that gets me (e), which is incorrect. The correct answer is (b), which is half of (e), implying that I should use the equation for constructive interference.

Am I missing a fundamental difference between the two problems besides one asking for minimum and another asking for maximum reflection? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The λ of the light in the coating is 550/n. The light must travel a distance of λ/2 in the coating to emerge from the coating out of phase with the reflected light byλ/2 and cause destructive interference. In the first example this means that the coating needs to be λ/4 thick.(106nm)
In the second example the logic is exactly the same but this time a phase change of λ/2 occurs at the junction of the coating and the visor of the helmet. A phase change of λ/2 occurs when there is reflection from a boundary when the light passes from high refractive index (1.8) into low refractive index (1.5). The wavelength of the light in the coating is 1000/n
A phase change of 0.5 of this wavelength occurs at the coating/visor junction. To MAXIMISE the reflection the 2 waves should emerge in phase therefore the path difference through the coating (2 x thickness) needs to be λ/2 giving a total phase difference of 1λ
In the first example there is no λ/2 phase difference at the junction between the coating and the lens because the refractive index of the lens is greater than the refractive index of the coating.

technician said:
In the second example the logic is exactly the same but this time a phase change of λ/2 occurs at the junction of the coating and the visor of the helmet. A phase change of λ/2 occurs when there is reflection from a boundary when the light passes from high refractive index (1.8) into low refractive index (1.5).

The opposite is true: There is no phase change when the light reflects from a lower-index medium, and the phase of the reflected wave changes by pi when the light enters from a lower index medium to the boundary with a higher index one.

The pi phase change corresponds to half-wavelength optical path difference.

ehild

ehild... you are correct, I have checked my notes and got it the wrong way round!
I think that in the first question there is a phase change of pi at both surfaces but in the second question there is only 1 phase change of pi at the air/coating surface.
I think it makes no difference to the answers but what I wrote was confusing.
Apologies to FishStik and to you... and thanks.

You are welcome :smile:

ehild

Related to Thin-Film Interference: Coating a Lens - Answers found, explanation needed

1. What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a thin film, such as a coating on a lens, and interacts with the boundaries between different materials. This interaction results in the interference of light waves, leading to changes in the intensity and color of the reflected and transmitted light.

2. How does coating a lens affect thin-film interference?

Coating a lens can alter the interference pattern of light passing through it by changing the thickness and refractive index of the thin film on the surface. This can result in different colors being reflected or transmitted, as well as changes in the overall intensity of the light.

3. What materials are commonly used for thin-film coatings on lenses?

Some common materials used for thin-film coatings on lenses include dielectric materials such as silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, and magnesium fluoride. Metals like aluminum and silver can also be used, but they tend to produce more intense and non-selective interference patterns.

4. How can thin-film interference be used in practical applications?

Thin-film interference is commonly used in the production of anti-reflective coatings on lenses, which help to reduce glare and improve the clarity of images. It is also utilized in technologies such as optical filters, liquid crystal displays, and optical coatings for solar cells.

5. What factors affect the interference pattern in thin-film coatings?

The interference pattern in thin-film coatings can be affected by factors such as the angle of incidence of light, the thickness and refractive index of the coating, and the wavelength of the light. Changes in these parameters can result in shifts in the interference pattern and affect the colors and intensity of the reflected and transmitted light.