Thin rod at rest gets shot with bullet and rotates? Ang momentum problem? help

In summary, the problem deals with a uniform thin rod of length 0.500 m and mass 4.0 kg that can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center. A 3.0 g bullet traveling in the rotation plane is fired into one end of the rod at an angle of 60°. After the collision, the bullet lodges in the rod and the resulting angular velocity is 10 rad/s. By using conservation of angular momentum and the moment of inertia of the system, the speed of the bullet just before impact can be calculated. The concept of a rigid body, which is a body that does not change shape, is also discussed in relation to the problem. This concept is important in understanding
nchin
A uniform thin rod of length 0.500 m and mass 4.0 kg can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center. The rod is at rest when a 3.0 g bullet traveling in the rotation plane is fired into one end of the rod. As viewed from above, the bullet's path makes angle θ = 60° with the rod. If the bullet lodges in the rod and the angular velocity of the rod is 10 rad/s immediately after the collision, what is the bullet's speed just before impact?

Solution with diagram on page 4m problem #11.55:
http://www.ifm.liu.se/edu/coursescms/TFYA16/lessons/Le-8-extra.pdf

Moment inertia of system: I = Irod + mr^2

Solution:
conservation of ang momentum:

rmvsinθ = (1/12 ML^2 + mr^2)ω

So conservation of ang momentum is

Linitial = Lfinal

but this problem uses: ang momentum of a particle = ang momentum of a rigid body?

What i don't understand:

Why is the Moment inertia of system I = Irod + mr^2? what i did was before looking up the solution was:

ML^(2)/12 ω = rmvsinθ + MR^(2)ω

because ang momentum inital was just the rod rotating by itself and then comes the bullet so ang momentum of a bullet plus ang momentum of the rod. rmvsinθ = (Irod + mr^2)ω doesn't make sense to me. Also can someone explain to me what a rigid body is? because i know rigid body is L = Iω. Are rigid bodies like a rod, ring, disk or shell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nchin! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
nchin said:
Also can someone explain to me what a rigid body is? because i know rigid body is L = Iω. Are rigid bodies like a rod, ring, disk or shell?

a rigid body is anything, of any shape, that doesn't change shape

(ie it has no separately-moving parts …

eg a rod with a ring free to move along it is not a rigid body :wink:)
Why is the Moment inertia of system I = Irod + mr^2? what i did was before looking up the solution was:

ML^(2)/12 ω = rmvsinθ + MR^(2)ω

because ang momentum inital was just the rod rotating by itself and then comes the bullet so ang momentum of a bullet plus ang momentum of the rod. rmvsinθ = (Irod + mr^2)ω doesn't make sense to me.

the angular momentum of the bullet after the collision is rmvf

but vf = rω, doesn't it?

so rmvf = mr2ω :smile:

(but since the bullet has become part of the rod, it's easier to use the moment of inertia of the bullet-plus-rod about the centre of the rod, which is the sum of the two moments of inertia, I + mr2

mr2 of course comes from the parallel axis theorem, 0 + mr2 :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
the angular momentum of the bullet after the collision is rmvf

but vf = rω, doesn't it?

so rmvf = mr2ω :smile:

(but since the bullet has become part of the rod, it's easier to use the moment of inertia of the bullet-plus-rod about the centre of the rod, which is the sum of the two moments of inertia, I + mr2

mr2 of course comes from the parallel axis theorem, 0 + mr2 :wink:)

so the moment of inertia can only be used when two moments of inertia come together as one?

so what about the ang momentum before? since the rod is at rest it would just be I(0) + rmvsinθ = rmvsinθ, right?

also when we calculate the r, that would be half of the length of the rod? i thought radius only applied to circles.

hi nchin! :smile:
nchin said:
so the moment of inertia can only be used when two moments of inertia come together as one?

the moment of inertia of a large body can only be used when the large body moves as one

if its parts move separately, they will have separate angular velocities, and maybe separate centres of rotation, and so we must use the separate moments of inertia, and calculate each part's angular momentum separately :wink:
so what about the ang momentum before? since the rod is at rest it would just be I(0) + rmvsinθ = rmvsinθ, right?

right :smile:
nchin said:
also when we calculate the r, that would be half of the length of the rod? i thought radius only applied to circles.

which r are you talking about?

the r in r x mv is the displacement from the point about which you're taking moments

the r in the parallel axis theorem is usually written d (so as not to confuse it with radius!), and is the distance from the centre of mass of the part to the centre of rotation

Got it. Thanks!

Related to Thin rod at rest gets shot with bullet and rotates? Ang momentum problem? help

1. How does the bullet hitting the thin rod cause it to rotate?

When the bullet hits the thin rod, it transfers its linear momentum to the rod. This causes the rod to start rotating due to the conservation of angular momentum. The bullet's linear momentum is now converted to angular momentum, causing the rod to rotate.

2. What factors affect the amount of rotation caused by the bullet?

The amount of rotation caused by the bullet depends on several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the bullet, the length and mass distribution of the thin rod, and the point of impact on the rod. A larger mass or higher velocity bullet will transfer more momentum to the rod, causing it to rotate more. A longer and more massive rod will also experience more rotation. The point of impact on the rod can also affect the direction and amount of rotation.

3. How can we calculate the angular momentum of the thin rod after it is shot by the bullet?

The angular momentum of the thin rod can be calculated using the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia of the rod, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the rod. The angular velocity can be calculated using the equation ω = v/r, where v is the linear velocity of the rod and r is the distance from the point of impact to the center of mass of the rod.

4. Is the angular momentum conserved in this scenario?

Yes, angular momentum is conserved in this scenario. This means that the total angular momentum before and after the bullet hits the rod remains the same. The bullet's angular momentum is transferred to the rod, causing it to rotate, but the total angular momentum of the system remains constant.

5. How does the rotation of the thin rod affect its overall kinetic energy?

The rotation of the thin rod affects its overall kinetic energy by increasing it. The rod now has both linear and angular kinetic energy due to its rotation, whereas before it only had linear kinetic energy. The total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, but it is now distributed between linear and angular components.