Think You Know about the LHC? - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary: Just passed! Phew! :oldtongue:In summary, a new PF Insights post was submitted by Greg Bernhardt about the LHC. The conversation that followed involved participants sharing their results from a LHC test, with some lucky guesses and disagreements about certain questions. Some participants had a good knowledge of the LHC, while others relied on information from the CERN website or LHC wiki entry. The conversation also touched on the timeline of LHC construction and the difficulty of the test. Overall, most participants scored around 6-8 out of 13.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Think You Know about the LHC?

LHCquiz-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
11/13, but several somewhat lucky guesses.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
PAllen said:
11/13, but several somewhat lucky guesses.
Nice work! Some of the numbers can be tricky.

I don't think I agree with #2 - the first papers were based on data obtained at 900 GeV.

5/13
Failed..:oldfrown:

5/13

I had no clue on any quetion and guessed every single one, so that says something about multiple choice tests.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think I agree with #2 - the first papers were based on data obtained at 900 GeV.
I got most material from the CERN website or the LHC wiki entry.

7/13 yikes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I got most material from the CERN website or the LHC wiki entry.

Nevertheless, the first papers were based on data obtained at 900 GeV.

I decided not to take the test when I saw the first question and I realized it was a good decision when I continued reading other questions!

3/13

11/13 -- I guess I didn't too badly at all! :)

StatGuy2000 said:
11/13 -- I guess I didn't too badly at all! :)
That is fully loaded, your brain should contain a large volume of LHC knowledge.

Silicon Waffle said:
That is fully loaded, your brain should contain a large volume of LHC knowledge.

Not particularly -- it's just I seem to have a pretty good recall of what I've read about the LHC recently.

6/13, mostly guessing. I divided 300,000 by 27 to get 11,000 times a second (close to light speed) and of course the picture looks like a "compact" muon solenoid...

Likes Silicon Waffle
5/13

Likes Silicon Waffle
Construction started in 1998? But LEP was still down there :/

You are right - the tunnel was started much earlier. That's another bad question. However, it is possible to start building magnets before the LEP tunnel was emptied.

6, (At least I was mostly right about some technical aspects of the various experiments and what they are.)

Likes Silicon Waffle
my score is 8 out of 13

8 of 13, did I beat MFB?

8/13 is too many to me.:wideeyed:

mfb said:
Nice try ;)
Fortunately, I read a lot of your posts or it would have been 3 out of 13!

6/13 Just passed! Phew! :oldtongue:

Likes Silicon Waffle
6/13

FAQ: Think You Know about the LHC? - Comments

1. What is the LHC and what does it do?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is a particle accelerator located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. It is used to collide particles at high speeds in order to study their properties and interactions, helping scientists to understand the fundamental building blocks of our universe.

2. Why is the LHC so important for scientific research?

The LHC allows scientists to recreate conditions similar to those that existed just after the Big Bang, providing valuable insights into the origins of our universe. It also allows for the discovery of new particles and the testing of various theories in physics.

3. Are there any risks associated with the LHC?

No, there are no significant risks associated with the LHC. The safety of the LHC has been extensively studied and confirmed by multiple scientific bodies, and the chances of any catastrophic events, such as the creation of a black hole, are incredibly small.

4. How does the LHC contribute to advancements in technology?

The technology used in the LHC, such as superconducting magnets and particle detectors, has led to advancements in various fields, including medical imaging, materials science, and computer technology. The research conducted at the LHC also contributes to our understanding of the universe, which can lead to technological innovations in the future.

5. What are some recent discoveries made at the LHC?

Some recent discoveries made at the LHC include the confirmation of the existence of the Higgs boson, the observation of the first exotic particle made of five quarks, and the discovery of a new type of tetraquark particle. These discoveries have provided valuable insights into the Standard Model of particle physics and have opened up new avenues for exploration and research.