Third and fourth central moment of a random variable

In summary: If this is the case, then the central moments of ##T_n## must be positive, which is what you suggest.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
In a paper published in the JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL PSYCHOLOGY 39, 265-274 (1995) a formula is given on page 272 for the expectation of a random variable (formula 23) and for it's variance (formula 24). Now I would like to know what the formulas look like for it's third and fourth central moment.

Inhibition in Speed and Concentration Tests:
The Poisson Inhibition Model

JAN C. dang AND AD H. G. S. VAN DER VEN
My question is as follows. In the attached paper a formula is given on page 272 for the expectation of Tn (formula 23) and for the variance of Tn (formula 24). Now I would like to know what the formulas look like for Tn 's third and fourth central moment.

Attachments

• JMP.pdf
    552.1 KB · Views: 231
Physics news on Phys.org
General answer for any random variable ##X##. Let ##E(X)=\mu## be the mean of ##X##. Then the ##n^{th}## central moment is given by ##E((X-\mu)^n)##.

Likes sysprog
Ad VanderVen said:
Now I would like to know what the formulas look like for Tn 's third and fourth central moment.
My guess is that you are asking for the third and fourth central moments of that particular ##T_n## rather than asking about the general concept of third and fourth moments. If that's the case, you are more likely to get an answer if you state the distribution of ##T_n## rather than hope that someone will read enough of the paper to figure that out.

Likes sysprog
Stephen Tashi The probability distribution is not given in the paper.

Ad VanderVen said:
Stephen Tashi The probability distribution is not given in the paper.

Is your question about how to infer the third and fourth moments of ##T_n## from what is given in the paper?

Tn (eq. 22) is a constant plus the difference between two variables with the same gamma distribution (eq. 15). If those two variables were independent it would be fairly simple, but they are correlated, and I'm not sure how to do that.

mjc123 Thanks a lot for your comment. I am going to look at equation (eq.15).

Based on a qualitative symmetry argument, I would say that in the stationary regime, when Y is fluctuating about a constant mean, then although the Y's are correlated, the distribution of YnA - Y(n-1)A must be symmetrical about zero, so the odd central moments must all be zero. But I'm not sure I could prove it rigorously.

mjc123 Sorry for my late reply. It could well be the case that Yn A - Y(n-1) A is symmetric. But the question is abour the central moments of Tn.

If y = A + Bx, where A and B are constants, then if x is symmetrical about zero, y is symmetrical about A.
Now look at equation 22.

Thank you very much for this important information.

Dear mjc123,

You suggest that the variable ##T_n## has a skewness that equals zero, but simulations suggest that the skewness is positive.

Related to Third and fourth central moment of a random variable

What is the third central moment of a random variable?

The third central moment of a random variable is a measure of the skewness, or asymmetry, of the distribution of the variable. It is calculated by taking the average of the cubed deviations from the mean of the variable.

What is the fourth central moment of a random variable?

The fourth central moment of a random variable is a measure of the kurtosis, or peakedness, of the distribution of the variable. It is calculated by taking the average of the fourth powers of the deviations from the mean of the variable.

How are the third and fourth central moments related to each other?

The third central moment and the fourth central moment are both measures of the shape of a distribution, but they capture different aspects. The third central moment measures the skewness, while the fourth central moment measures the kurtosis. Together, they provide a more complete picture of the shape of a distribution.

What do positive and negative values of the third and fourth central moments indicate?

A positive third central moment indicates that the distribution is skewed to the right, while a negative value indicates a skew to the left. A positive fourth central moment indicates a more peaked distribution, while a negative value indicates a flatter distribution.

Why are the third and fourth central moments important in statistics?

The third and fourth central moments provide important information about the shape of a distribution, which can help in understanding and analyzing data. They are also used in various statistical tests and models, such as in assessing normality assumptions and in calculating confidence intervals.