This is from a Diff EQ but but its just algebra i think?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving y, k, and t. The first equation given is (y/k) = (ynot/k)/((ynot/k)-[1(ynot/k]e^(-rt)), and the goal is to solve for t. The next line shows the equation solved for e^(-rt). The person is struggling to understand the steps involved in solving for e^(-rt) and is looking for help or a program that can show the algebraic steps. They also question whether ynot is equal to dy/dt and point out a possible typo in the first equation.
HappMatt
this is from a Diff EQ but but its just algebra i think??

I'm just working through an example here and its say to solve the equation

(y/k)=(ynot/k)/((ynot/k)-[1(ynot/k]e^(-rt))

for t. then in the next line it shows it solved for

e^(-rt)={(ynot/k)(1-(y/k)}/{(y/k)(1-(ynot/k)}

now i have been trying to fihure this out for awhile and its frustrating me, and i just can't seem to move on until i understand what I am not doing. can someone show me the steps involved in solving for e^(-rt) before i thrash this book or also recommend a program that will show algebraic steps in solving equation so that i don't have to spend hours figuring my retarted math mistakes out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is ynot dy/dt?

And why do you multiply ynot/k by 1 in the first equation you posted? It looks like it may be a typo

FAQ: This is from a Diff EQ but but its just algebra i think?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How is a differential equation different from a regular algebraic equation?

A differential equation involves derivatives of a function, while a regular algebraic equation does not. This means that the solution to a differential equation is a function rather than a single value.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, Euler's method, and Laplace transforms.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, motion of objects, and many other phenomena.

5. Do I need to be good at calculus to understand differential equations?

Having a strong understanding of calculus is essential for understanding and solving differential equations. However, with practice and proper guidance, anyone can learn how to solve differential equations.