This matrice is teasing my brain

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix question involving values of q and the number of solutions for the system. The matrix is given in two different forms and the questions ask for the value of q that results in no solution, exactly one solution, exactly two solutions, or more than two solutions. It is determined that there can be no exactly two solutions and the other values of q are given to satisfy the other conditions.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP81919f5fe2322e6eh8200002fi8c90746427bb9?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=6&w=104&h=56

I row reduced to echelon form

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP126419f5fe22df59ae330000104g69088bedef7c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=6&w=157&h=58

So now the questions are
For what value of q does this system have?

i) no solution
ii) exactly one solution
iii) exactly two solution
iv) more than two solutions

Attempt

i) When q = 1
ii) All values of q will work other than q = 1
iii) Is this even possible?
iv) When q = 1 again (that is when the last row is completely 0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP81919f5fe2322e6eh8200002fi8c90746427bb9?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=6&w=104&h=56

I row reduced to echelon form

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP126419f5fe22df59ae330000104g69088bedef7c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=6&w=157&h=58

So now the questions are
For what value of q does this system have?

i) no solution
ii) exactly one solution
iii) exactly two solution
iv) more than two solutions

Attempt

i) When q = 1
ii) All values of q will work other than q = 1
iii) Is this even possible?
iv) When q = 1 again (that is when the last row is completely 0)

As you show it, this is not a system - it's just a matrix. From the context, the matrix is supposed to be an augmented matrix.

How can this system have no solutions and multiple solutions, all when q = 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, you can have two matrices, but only one matrix.

Oh wait let me try again

a) There are no values for which this system has no solution

b) All values other than q = 1

c) Again stuck

d) When q = 1

A system of linear equations can have:
1) no solutions.
2) exactly one solution.
3) an infinite number of solutions.

Yeah, but which does "exactly 2 solutions" fall in? I think it falls into "infinite number of solutions" in which case the last row better be a row of 0s.

How can you say that "exactly two solutions" means the same thing as an infinite number of them?

Suppose that there are two lines in the plane. The lines could do one of three things:
1) Not intersect (parallel lines)
2) Intersect at exactly one point
3) Intersect at every point on either line (the two lines are identical)

Could the two lines intersect at exactly two points?

So there is no such thing as "exactly two solutions"? Or do I pick two solutions from my parametric equation?

Right, you can't have exactly two solutions.

In other words, this is a tricky question...

Did I get the other part right though?

Dear flyingpig: Just to let you know I have pretty much quit reading your posts. Why? This post is a good example. There are no images in your first post so I can't tell what the problem was in the first place. Did you remove them or were they never there? Either way it's a waste of time to read.

Secondly, I find it a major nuisance to have to keep clicking on various links to get images. I know you have learned how to input matrices and I don't think it would be too much to ask for you to actually type in the question in your original posts.

Just my two cents worth.

LCKurtz said:
Secondly, I find it a major nuisance to have to keep clicking on various links to get images. I know you have learned how to input matrices and I don't think it would be too much to ask for you to actually type in the question in your original posts.
I second this. It's irritating to open the image website and have additional spam sites open as well.

It's not really my fault, ImageShack stopped letting people embedding images. I could have used TeX and typed out the full question, but sometimes the format looks really confusing. But alright I will do that in the future.

EDIT: Also, the reason the images keep disappearing is that I just realize wolframalpha removes them 24hrs after. I didn't know that until today lol sorry.

FAQ: This matrice is teasing my brain

1. What is a matrice?

A matrice is a mathematical term for a rectangular array of numbers or symbols organized in rows and columns.

2. How does a matrice tease the brain?

A matrice can be challenging to comprehend and manipulate, which can stimulate the brain and make it work harder to understand and solve problems.

3. What is the importance of matrices in science?

Matrices are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to represent and solve complex systems and equations.

4. Can matrices be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, matrices are commonly used in real-world applications, such as image processing, data analysis, and financial modeling.

5. Are there any tips for understanding matrices better?

To better understand matrices, it is helpful to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the basic operations and properties of matrices, such as addition, multiplication, and inverses.