Thought about a subnuclear reaction

• Thread starter Stuut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using implosion to improve energy production in nuclear reactions. This idea has been used in nuclear weapons and is now being explored in thermonuclear fusion experiments. However, the success of this method depends on the ability to generate the necessary pulses without disrupting the setup. Overall, the conversation highlights the potential of implosion in nuclear reactions and its current applications.
Stuut
Hi everyone,

I'm an engineer student, so I'm not an expert in nuclear reactions and subatomic physics, but I had a little thought experiment and I was wondering if there were any reachable subnuclear threshold to improve energy production.

Let's suppose a spherical (with IO) container of melted-salt thorium, for instance. This container is inside a second spherical container (with IO) of a liquid moderator. If we dispose "speakers" homogenously around the outter sphere that vibrates with a pulse of high amplitude at clock speed, the sound wave can be transmitted to the centre of the sphere where pressure increases tremendously (with minimal loss and sufficiently high amplitude).

Then, in the center of the inner sphere, can't we reach a higher reaction threshold ?

Thank you for reading until here and I'm looking for your opinion :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your basic idea is quite sound. It is called 'implosion' and it has been at the heart of nuclear weapons almost from the beginning.
Robert Christy is generally credited with the research to make it work with plutonium bombs.
Indeed, the Fat Man plutonium device used that same idea, except it had explosive lumps to provide the needed sound (pressure) pulse to compress the plutonium at the center enough for fission to take place.
The devil is in the details, how to generate the needed pulses at the right frequency and intensity without disrupting the setup.
Nowadays we are using laser pulses to provide the needed push for thermonuclear fusion experiments.

Likes Stuut
Thank you for your answer, that was truly interesting :) (as I'm no expert)

Related to Thought about a subnuclear reaction

1. What is a subnuclear reaction?

A subnuclear reaction is a type of nuclear reaction that occurs at the subatomic level, involving interactions between particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. These reactions are responsible for the release of energy in processes such as radioactive decay and nuclear fusion.

2. How do subnuclear reactions differ from nuclear reactions?

Subnuclear reactions occur at the subatomic level, while nuclear reactions occur at the atomic level. Subnuclear reactions involve interactions between particles, while nuclear reactions involve changes in the nucleus of an atom.

3. What is the significance of subnuclear reactions in the field of physics?

Subnuclear reactions are crucial in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. They also play a role in the energy production and behavior of stars and in the development of nuclear technology.

4. How are subnuclear reactions studied?

Subnuclear reactions are studied using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to observe and measure the properties of subatomic particles involved in these reactions. Theoretical models and mathematical calculations are also used to understand and predict the behavior of these reactions.

5. Can subnuclear reactions be controlled or harnessed for practical use?

While some subnuclear reactions, such as nuclear fission and fusion, can be controlled and harnessed for energy production, most subnuclear reactions occur naturally and cannot be controlled. However, ongoing research in this field may lead to new technologies and applications in the future.