Thought experiment with electron and proton

In summary: No, the hydrogen atom won't drop down to the ground state. In fact, it won't even exist in the universe with only one electron and one proton.
Electrons in a stationary atom are moving, since they have kinetic energy. So in a sense they are eternally moving back and forth.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
It is contrary to observation.

All of it's kinetic and potential energy, yes.

Classically the electron would, by radiating, increase its kinetic energy and decrease its potential energy indefinitely. That is possible because classical point charges have infinite electromagnetic self energy. The total energy would never become negative.

Last edited:
my2cts said:
Classically the electron would, by radiating, increase its kinetic energy and decrease its potential energy indefinitely.
Indefinitely? If something is radiating energy away, how can this go on indefinitely?

forcefield said:
That seems to rule out only curved electron orbits.
Obviously. The Coulomb potential couldn't lead to any others.

my2cts said:
Electrons in a stationary atom are moving, since they have kinetic energy. So in a sense they are eternally moving back and forth.
They may have KE, but their expected position is not changing. They are not moving back and forth.

my2cts said:
Classically the electron would, by radiating, increase its kinetic energy
You have this exactly backwards. An electron loses KE by radiating.

In any case, atoms are not observed to radiate indefnitely either.

Last edited:
This thread is such a mess of classical and quantum concepts and blatant misinformation that it is not useful any more, if it ever was useful.

The question in the OP was clearly and correctly answered back in post 2. If forcefield does not like the answer then he/she is free to consult an actual textbook.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Back